IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

I have a strong preference for option 2 having extensively tested the other options over the years. My findings have been duplicated by at least 5 other regular readers of this thread. To be clear, the solution is to use a 3.5 inch hard disk in an USB 3 enclosure into a USB 3 port.  Over here, the USB 3 enclosure is powered with a 12 volt high quality lps with double regulation.

Agreed.  I went from using a Synology NAS for my storage to the method described above.  My server and endpoint are separated by wi-fi.  It was one of the biggest differences I've heard in my system, and I don't even have these devices separately powered as yet!  Following @lmitche 's lead, I'm using a Startech USB 3.1 enclosure with WD Black 3.5 HDD.  That connects to a Startech USB 3.1 PCIe card in my server.

Colin

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Installed the 5.2 BFQ kernel on my server and endpoint today. There may have been a slight bump in SQ, but for sure nothing was worse off for the upgrade.

Happily, I did achieve a big jump up in SQ today, but that is a story for another day.

You joined the SR7 club? 😀

• 1 year later...