IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

Late last week a blind test of Euphony Stylus, Euphony Stylus Endpoint, and Audiolinux RoonBridge was performed. There was one listener, a very experienced audiophile, who is someone with zero understanding of the digital world. As such, he has no bias or interest any software solution. Nevertheless during the test no indication of the current test configuration was shared. Indeed the names of the software being tested were never shared.

All tests were performed on a NUC7I7DNBE endpoint connected via 5ghz wifi to a I7-6700k server running RoonServer or serving files via Samba for Euphony Stylus.  Audiolinux and Euphony were configured in the "best" way possible based on my experience.

Bottom line, the Audiolinux/Roonbridge config was the best sounding of the three configurations.

The Euphony Stylus SQ was declared darker and lacking presence and liveliness. This despite having the entire track buffered in RAM before playback start.

The Euphony Stylus Endpoint sounded better, but transients seem to lack control and dynamic passages can sound harsh and distorted at the peaks.

Audiolinux/Roonbridge was the most balanced presentation with the best tonal qualities, and most natural presentation.

There are many variables at work here, and of course others may have a different experience.

Interesting. What power supply did you use on the NUC7I7DNBE endpoint? And did you restrict the power or CPU performance in the BIOS?  Thanks for sharing. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

19 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

Do you feel the UI of Roon too good to sacrifice to try the Euphony Stylus as a one box solution or is that test configuration in the pipeline?

That was one of the tests he has done.

4 hours ago, lmitche said:

The Euphony Stylus SQ was declared darker and lacking presence and liveliness. This despite having the entire track buffered in RAM before playback start.

Industry disclosure: 

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2019 at 9:33 AM, Gavin1977 said:

is it best best to run from USB Flash Drive to memory only (i.e. no Optane and no 2.5" disk)?

IMO - Yes. And remove the USB Flash Drive after AudioLinux loads in RAM. 

But in my system, I don't hear any difference if loading to memory from Optane instead of USB Flash Drive. The data transfer to memory, essentially the booting, is faster this way. 

Industry disclosure: