IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

Hi Guys,

I'm lurking with interest here - fascinating thread!

Regarding the new process assignment feature in AL, a couple of years or more ago when I had a two PC Jplay setup running Windows, I used a program called Process Lasso to assign certain processes to one or more processors. Whilst the impact was not enormous, there was a noticeable improvement and that was on top of motherboards that had clocks replaced, battery-run Compact Flash cards as hard drives etc etc. I've done a v quick scan and the software is mentioned in this thread: http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/1718-processlasso-and-enhancements-sound-quality/

From memory, I believe that the generally agreed philisophy at the time was to dedicate one processor to the music software and then give it the highest priority possible in the software. AL is already doing the prioritising and this is another step to explore.

I think Piero is doing an amazing job. The release cycle has increased hugely and exciting new features seem to appear every month...or week! I agree though that the untested affect on SQ is a change to the norm...or maybe not and this is the first time that Piero has mentioned it! I don't have much time to tinker these days (young kids!) and as far as I'm concerned, the easier it is to tweak and upgrade the better. My linux is rudimentary at best, so the new scripts and menu are a great addition. As long as I can configure the processor from the options menu with maybe some initial text file editing to change any default settings, then I'll give it a go. Who knows what difference it will make to a Roon Server.

I guess that it would be useful to be able to export/backup settings so that I can be sure of duplicating all settings in any new installation that I do. Maybe settings could be saved to a text file (.conf?) and then could be exported and used when setting up a new image? I usually end up messing up the installs at one point or another with one-change-to-far and it would help to get back up and running as quickly as possible.

Anyway, keep up the great work Piero - it's much appreciated - and also, great thread guys, a good read!

In case it's of interest this is my server config: Supermicro E300-8d powered with an LT3045-based regulator from MPaudio which is in turm powered by the ad/dc adapter supplied with the server. It runs AL in RAM. I did have a NUC before but I wanted to run in RAM and my roon db was too big.

Cheers,

Crom

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Poldi said:

But a Cisco 2960 switch (one of the newer white ones) is on its way to me, so I will be able to evaluate the impact of this switch on my system and on my NUC specifically. I just read about the Cisco switches some days ago in the NAIM forum and in this forum. I am really excited whether it will actually improve the sound that much.

Hi Poldi,

Thought I'd chime in here as I bought one of the older models of 2960, see pic here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-2960-8TC-L-with-IOS-15-Catalyst-WS-C2960-8TC-L-2960-Managed-8-Port-Switch/113676988187?hash=item1a77ad2f1b:g:EZcAAOSwPEhcgRHF

Not sure whether the new version is the same but I took the lid off mine and replaced the power supply (12v) to the motherboard. Then I earthed the motherboard. Both resulted in relatively minor audible improvements but i've kept them in the system. Of the two, upgrading the power supply was the more impressive. I might get around to changing the clocks (or at least the power to the clocks) at some point.

Has anyone done any comparison between the versions of 2960?

Hope this helps,

Crom

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've recently started to use the headless version of HQPlayer running on Audiolinux headless, running on a NUC. The NAA is running on a rasberry pi (also on audiolinux).

I have been trying to troubleshoot a problem in that Roon is unable to see HQPlayer:

image.thumb.png.8f7d861b976310aa2bd11312c45121fa.png

This is a bit annoying as I had it working perfectly a few days ago and I'm not sure what I've done wrong!

HQplayer logs indicate that it can see the NAA:

2019/05/04 12:03:25 asoundlib version: 1.1.8
  2019/05/04 12:03:25 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH: ALC283 Analog
  2019/05/04 12:03:25 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0
  2019/05/04 12:03:25 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 1
  2019/05/04 12:03:25 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 2
  2019/05/04 12:03:25 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=9 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 3
  2019/05/04 12:03:25 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=10 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 4
  2019/05/04 12:03:25 Network Audio IPv6 support enabled
  2019/05/04 12:03:25 Discovery from ::
& 2019/05/04 12:03:25 Discovered network audio: name='raspberry' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 3.5.6'  @[::ffff:192.168.178.189]:43210
& 2019/05/04 12:03:25 Discovered network audio: name='raspberry' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 3.5.6'  @[::ffff:192.168.178.189]:43210
& 2019/05/04 12:03:26 Discovered network audio: name='raspberry' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 3.5.6'  @[fe80::ba27:ebff:feaf:8930%eno1]:43210
& 2019/05/04 12:03:26 Discovered network audio: name='raspberry' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 3.5.6'  @[fe80::ba27:ebff:feaf:8930%eno1]:43210
  2019/05/04 12:03:27  Network endpoint: snd_rpi_rpi_dac:  (hw:CARD=sndrpirpidac,DEV=0)
- 2019/05/04 12:03:27 Network engine stopping...

The reason that I think my HQ Player config is the problem is that when I try to access the browser front end I can only reach /config. For example, I thought I'd see if I can play music directly from HQPlayer to the Pi and clicked on the 'library' link at foot of config page. All that happens is the config page is loaded again. Is this by design and it's telling me something's wrong here?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers,

Crom

...and having spent hours fiddling around...then posting a shout for help, I manage to find a solution within minutes of posting. Gah, how foolish do I feel. I'd somehow managed to switch off the IPv6 checkbox in HQPlayer config page! Problem solved. Music returned.

So...just for future reference, in HQ Player headless, does the interface get 'stuck' on the config page when there is a configuration problem?

Thanks all and sorry for disturbing!

• 1 year later...