IGNORED

GentooPlayer

20 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

yes, that can be done without problems ...

however if you want you can try it too ...

Consider that gentoo does not install binaries but compiles them, so some operations take a long time, especially on ARM architectures.

Assuming you've expanded the root partition with gparted, you can continue like this:

emerge-webrsync

echo "media-libs/libmpdclient **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/my_key
echo "media-sound/upmpdcli **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/my_key
echo "net-libs/libupnpp **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/my_key
echo "net-libs/libupnp **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/my_key

if you are interested in qobuz, tidal, ...:

USE="thirdparty" emerge --ask media-sound/upmpdcli

otherwise:

emerge --ask media-sound/upmpdcli

then you have to edit the configuration file as wiki

Tried this, but when I do

I get:

!!! Your current profile is invalid. If you have just changed your profile
!!! configuration, you should revert back to the previous configuration.

What am I doing wrong?

audio system

26 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

proceed so:

/etc/init/ntp-client restart

emerge-webrsync

and then

it will take a bit 'of time...

Assuming you've expanded the root partition with gparted.
or wait for the next image ...

Thanks for the quick reply! 

I had to install ntp first and then do 

/etc/init/ntp-client.d restart

and now I got it working.

Out of curiosity: when can we expect the next image with upmpdcli ?

audio system

I have been trying the last days to make ramsystem (ramdisk) work with GentooPlayer. First I tried with an 8GB usb flash drive, but while performing ramsystem I got this error message "write error: no space left on device". So I tried with a 16GB drive, but again I got this same message. See screenshot.

Maybe by device is meant: the RAM device?

However, I use a 64bit pc with 8GB RAM of which more than 6.5GB is available according to free -m.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

20190102_140152.jpg

audio system

48 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

mhhh, strange....4 GB should suffice...

version systemd or openr-RC

can you post me the result of the command df -h and du -sh /*

Thanks!

My bad, I apologize! I forgot to resize /dev/sda3 on the new stick. After doing so, ramsystem completes without error message!

How can I see that it is actually running in RAM?

free -m

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7840          99        6562        1141        1178        6521

cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:        8028844 kB
MemFree:         6719600 kB
MemAvailable:    6677860 kB
Buffers:             496 kB
Cached:          1176156 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            17548 kB
Inactive:        1165852 kB
Active(anon):      10104 kB
Inactive(anon):  1165340 kB
Active(file):       7444 kB
Inactive(file):      512 kB

(etc.)

PS I use the openRC version.

audio system

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

if the script did not give errors the system is in ram ...
but if you want a counter check remove the usb stick ...
but before doing so, restart the system in normal mode, give the command gp-update (update the scripts, I changed something) ... and then try ...

if you can even try the version systemd would make me a pleasure, and maybe give me your impressions, I would like to bring forward only one, or systemd or openRC ....

with systemd it can happen that it does not work internet, sometimes it can not solve the host, if it happens just give the following commands

ln -snf /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service
systemctl start systemd-resolved.service

Thanks!

Thanks Antonello.

I tried with the systemd version, but I got stuck:

gp-update does not work as there is no internet.

Actually, the normal GP menu items such as cpu-info, system-commands etc. do not work. I get errors like:

-bash: /gentooplayer/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-cpuinfo: File o directory non esistente

And when I try

ln  -snf /run/systemd/resolve /resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

I get:

-bash: ln : comando non trovato

And I cannot install the ln package as there is no internet.

Chicken or egg situation? Can you please advise?

audio system

24 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

have you resized sda3?

sure that the syntax is right?

image.thumb.png.7f8f407e827e29dd1cf911b7f21571be.png

yes, sda3 was resized

I retyped the above 3 lines (ln -snf /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf etc.) manually, and now I have internet again.

Later this week I will let you know how the systemd version is working out for me...

Thanks for your patience!

audio system

hi Antonello,

I have been trying the systemd version of GentooPlayer64, After installing upmpdcli I am able to send DSD256 files from Audirvana+ (on a Windows pc) to GentooPlayer and make music.

Actually, I have a preference for systemd above OpenRc, but that is probably because I am more used to systemd's commands.

On the other hand:

The keyboard layout seems to be different. For instance, when I want to type a hyphen (-) I get an apostrophe (').

The first time I tried to use ramsystem I got all sorts of errors (journal not found, and tasks taking too long).

The second time (after a reboot) it looked better and I only got this message:

mpd       4809  0.0  0.1 500700 12924 ?        Ssl  21:14   0:00 /usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon

Mpd is active, but in both cases upmpdcli did not work anymore after copying to RAM, and I get:

# systemctl status upmpdcli
   upmpdcli.service - UPnP Renderer front-end to MPD
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/upmpdcli.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-01-03 21:31:35 UTC; 11s ago
  Process: 5331 ExecStart=/usr/bin/upmpdcli -c /etc/upmpdcli.conf (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 5331 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Looking forward to the next image of GP64 with upmpdcli that hopefully solves this!?

Thanks for this really promising project, and just let me know if you need more information.

audio system

On 1/2/2019 at 6:21 PM, antonellocaroli said:

if you can even try the version systemd would make me a pleasure, and maybe give me your impressions, I would like to bring forward only one, or systemd or openRC ....

Today I tried both GentooPlay64 versions: the systemd and OpenRC ones. Apart from the init system the installations are the same with alsa 1.0.29, mpd and upmpdcli (for now without ramsystem).

Comparing sound quality, the results are close together, but I do prefer the sound of the systemd version. It is more relaxed, more open (less compressed) and has tighter bass. The difference is subtle but noticeable and important for long listening.

Question:

@antonellocaroli 

Systemd is known as a bloated (big) system, and OpenRC as a lean (minimal) system. So why is the GP64 systemd image (1.3GB) smaller than the OpenRC one (2GB) ?

audio system

hi Antonello,

I see that you added upmpdcli and and an indication whether the system runs in RAM. That is great!

After using gp-update, both the systemd and openRC versions seem to work well in ramdisk mode, in spite of a few upmpdcli error messages that I do not understand. Is gp-update sufficient, or is it better to download the new images?

In ramsystem mode the two versions come closer in SQ but I still have a preference for systemd, especially with higher close harmony voices. It sounds cleaner.

Thanks again!

audio system

32 minutes ago, michaelvv said:

I hope for Antonello that the happiness all his effort brings me are a little motivation to keep up the good work. If I could

help with something I don't know what his goal is, I will gladly do It for absolutely free.

I wholeheartedly agree with michaelvv and would also be happy to assist with testing and translating!

Just installed the BIOS/systemd version of GP64 on a new usb flash drive. When trying to activate upmpdcli I noticed that none of the commands for upmpdcli in the players-commands section work. For instance upmrestart gives: "Failed to restart upmpdcli.service: Unit upmpdcli.service not found." Work in progress?

audio system

18 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

Ciao Dennis,

do not you have another linux system with mpd and upmpdcli to use instead of GP and see if you have the same problem?

Ciao Filippo,

I had the exact same problem when I was running mpd and upmpdcli under ArchLinux.

It looks like a problem with the Audirvana/DSD256/mpd/upmpdcli combination.

With HQPlayer/DSD256/NAA (networkd) it is going well,

audio system

5 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I tried audirvana on virtual machine to try, but I did not have the problem that you describe .... have you tried to update audirvana?

how much Ram do you have on windows? Audirvana seems to want a bit ...

I updated Audirvana and exactly copied the settings as in your screenshots. I will play some music tomorrow...

Just in case: which DAC are you using? And if it happens to have an Amanero board, which firmware version?

Thanks Filippo!

audio system

11 hours ago, michaelvv said:

I mention I read that you have a very very fine DAC yourself.

I started this journey for almost 40 years ago, and today it's just unbelievable how far it is from back in time.

I had only been on the digital road for 10 years and today I'm fully satisfied with the outcome.

Do you feed your DAC from USB or from Toslink/Spdif ???

I'm curious if I could gain something with one of these fancy DDC. I really like my Chord 2qute DAC.

Usb I think is the only possibility for the Amanero board. In my case treated with SotM and Regen devices.

I am indeed very happy with the Lampizator Lite 7 DAC, but I must say only with the DSD chain. The PCM chain falls behind my previous DAC (Audio Aéro) which was the first device that made digital listenable for me. I still occasionally have PCM listening sessions, enjoying the Audio Aéro's wonderful creamy sound. (Yes, I never could part from it.)

I get the impression that now it is possible to almost match the quality of these DACs at a lower price point, and I have seen very good reviews of your Chord. I may find out soon as I am helping a friend to find a good affordable DSD DAC.

Do you upsample to DSD at all? Or upsample otherwise?

audio system

12 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I updated Audirvana and exactly copied the settings as in your screenshots. I will play some music tomorrow...

Interesting. I listened this morning with the upgraded Audirvana and settings as in Filippo's screenshots, using ramsystem modes 1 and 2 respectively. Twice the music just stopped after about 5 minutes. I then increased Audirvana's 'max. memory allocated' and I just played a 14 min track with no problems. Fingers crossed...

Oh, I forgot to say: the 'control pc' with Audirvana is an i7 with 16GB RAM. When upsampling to DSD256 it uses 80% cpu and 20% RAM.

P S Strangely enough, with Audirvana set to upsample to DSD256, when I play a DSD64 file, Audirvana still indicates DSD64 as output. I will ask about this on the Audirvana thread.

audio system

5 hours ago, bodiebill said:

P S Strangely enough, with Audirvana set to upsample to DSD256, when I play a DSD64 file, Audirvana still indicates DSD64 as output. I will ask about this on the Audirvana thread.

To be precise, here is the result of

cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

(1) Audirvana upsampling ro DSD256 (but not really):

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: DSD_U32_BE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 88200 (88200/1)
period_size: 11025
buffer_size: 44100

(2) HQPlayer upsampling to DSD256 (looks OK)

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: DSD_U32_BE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 352800 (352800/1)
period_size: 32768
buffer_size: 131072

audio system

Update:

I tried to flash Amanero firmware version 2005be again, hoping that it would be reset and the problem (hissing noise after 8-12 min) would be solved. But no, the problem was back and occurs with HQPlayer => NAA as well as Audirvana => upmpdcli => mpd. It looks like a problem with 2005be, at least its compatibility with GentooPlayer.

So now I am back to firmware 1099c.

As flashing Amanero is not straightforward, I have not tried this yet, but could the problem theoretically be related to using Alsa version 1.0.29?

audio system

18 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

mhhh 

I do not think alsa 1.0.29 is the problem ...but you can try to upgrade...
and the kernel is the last available where amanero in dsd is supported like this:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/sound/usb/quirks.c

you can see the usb id with the audio command

So does that mean that this kernel supports Amanero LE (little-endian) and BE (big-endian)? 

I am currently using this kernel:

GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1

Maybe try another kernel?

Using the 1099c firmware and upsampling to DSD256, the audio command gives:
card0   USB Audio card          usb3  --> 16d0:071a     Amanero Technologies Combo384
card0   STATUS  --> access: RW_INTERLEAVED format: DSD_U32_LE subformat: STD channels: 2 rate: 352800 (352800/1) period_size: 32768 buffer_size: 131072

so this looks like 1099c is little-endian. And of course 2005be is big-endian.

Or maybe I should use an alternate setting 2 when flashing the 2005be firmware? 

A bit over my head, but I am happy to learn...

audio system