IGNORED

GentooPlayer

18 hours ago, rickca said:

It seems Italy is the source of a lot of good audio software and support forums like NextHardware.  I've been aware of very useful posts from @bibo01 about HQPlayer for quite a while, but I just got started with AudioLinux recently.

Can someone explain the differences and relative merits of GentooPlayer vs AudioLinux?

NextHardware, more specifically the cMP2 forum I personally setup years ago, is a good site because there are various developers (Piero/AudioLinux, GentooPlayer/antonello, Squeezelite-R2/Marco) and a community interested in developing new, SOTA hardware/software solutions. We at NextHardware help each other for example, as a reseller, I offer HQPlayer Desktop purchase at a discount with no personal gain. 

Differences between AL (which I originally reviewed years ago) and GP are getting less and less. Mainly Piero of AL offers top support at a minimal cost. 

GP is younger (it has started development more recently) and is an OS tailor made to your own hardware, so process/services can be reduced to bare essential.