IGNORED

GentooPlayer

I first came across Gentoo player on fbook.

l was a bit reluctant to install it because I don’t speak Italian but after doing I see that it’s very very good.

I have many questions but to start with:

1) I didn’t manage to resize the partitions. I can’t find what I should put to the “sda” field.

2) what is the “alsacap” command for Gentoo??

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

5 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I'm making it...

1)  you're talking about rpi? on rpi is not sda bat mmcblk0

2) It's not unusual... but I'll do it. It's nice.
image.thumb.png.e00e9dbbc1a185420effe2d26a1be32c.png

Thank you very much!

Yes, as you understood I was talking Pi!🙂

I hope I succeed in resizing now.

About the “alsacap” it will be in an update?

Its useful to know your dac capabilities in order to setup DoP or Native DSD 

Michael

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

In the screenshot above about resizing (fdisk/dev/mmcblk0) what does "invio" mean? I know that it means "sending" but what the is the correct setting?

Thanx!!!

25 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

In the screenshot above about resizing (fdisk/dev/mmcblk0) what does "invio" mean? I know that it means "sending" but what the is the correct setting?

Thanx!!!

Never mind.... did it! Thnx!!

FE14B2CF-5680-4E95-9D43-6CB161CBC6D7.thumb.jpeg.355551c51b4f8a3bb398e13c0ea66293.jpeg574AA358-BA96-4EDA-9B97-7CD04E3B2F53.thumb.jpeg.fca89877800291aa54ef819fe48d7b7c.jpeg

While doing system update I got those error msgs.

The update completed though.

Should I do something to check for possible issues?

Thnx!

44 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

no, I don't think it worked out.

but on an rpi hardly ever goes well, if you don't know how to do it ... for a memory issue. you have to activate the swap etc. ...

gentoo unlike other linux distributions, does not install binaries, but compiles them on the system.

updating the entire system on rpi could take forever...

that said, updating the entire system is something I do from time to time...

I'm going to have to take that option off the menu.

Rather, I'll have to add a function that only updates what interests us.

Ok ... thank you!

yes it took quite some time!

anyway this whole setup is for learning and seeing what problems I come through!

when I decide what I want I will burn another new card 

another question... in order to use Minimserver I have installed on my NAS with Gentoo in MPD mode I should activate the upmpcli too yes?

I tried but didn’t work .. LUMIN app didn’t see any player available.

I will try again I a few days cause I will leave home for now, but any tips would be very welcome! 

thank you once more!

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

for lumin you should also activate bubbleupnp

So both bubbleupnp and upmpcli..

Thanks!

C2341545-13F4-4261-91FA-350317701046.thumb.jpeg.936234f4584831e428d04d53cc850342.jpeg

I get this message when changing to ramsystem 

finally the system seems to run in ram but it started showing the message from a point on.

I suppose I deleted something by mistake....

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

You're using the 64bit version...it wasn't complete yet...but soon I'll release the official version...it's ready...I just need to upload...

Thank you once more!!!

Would you suggest the 32-bit version about the  rpi3b+?

Also also would you suggest upgrading to rpi4?

27 minutes ago, Loukiz said:

For people who do not need/use the USB ports of a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (works with other Pis as well, but USB controllers are a little different), there is a way to shut down the power to the USB ports completely using uhubctl (https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl).

To do this:

1. Login to the RPI via SSH
  2. git clone https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl
  3. cd uhubctl
  4. make uhubctl
  5. uhubctl     (this will show you a list of the USB controllers and ports)
  6. uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 (this will turn off the power to "port 2" of hub "1-1.1"

7. DO NOT TURN OFF PORT 1 on either hub (this will turn off the ethernet and you will not be able to connect to your PPI until you reboot)

8. you can turn off multiple ports at once using "&&":  uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 && uhubctl -p 3 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 && uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl -p 3 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl -p 4 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl

9. The changes are removed with the next reboot

10. You can create a startup script via:    nano ~/etc/local.d/usboff.start  

image.thumb.png.69e4e9b85a2ff240bd292cd58c11c93f.png

image.thumb.png.cf95f0cf530a4ad34e4a8a910f9e2f7e.png

image.png.79877d08d5953a8658dcaea3600ebb0b.png

image.png.fd1afd6d4f21dbc89a24fe3b20bb9d3f.png

image.png.353b834a1571b0aae43091c1f28c28cf.png

image.thumb.png.fff40146b0f959a880e8968024f4af63.png

image.png

image.png

And to turn them back on?🙂

Happy New Year to all!!!

Two things:

1) On my rpi3b+ I use Allo DigiOne along with my USB DAC.

Having plugged the USB as it seems it's not possible to select DigiOne as output!

Should I unplug the USB in order Gentoo to "see" the DigiOne?

I admit I didn't try it yet! 

2) Is it possible to "play" with SoX for upsampling in S.lite R2?

Thank you!!!

35 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

Happy New Year to all!!!

Two things:

1) On my rpi3b+ I use Allo DigiOne along with my USB DAC.

Having plugged the USB as it seems it's not possible to select DigiOne as output!

Should I unplug the USB in order Gentoo to "see" the DigiOne?

I admit I didn't try it yet! 

2) Is it possible to "play" with SoX for upsampling in S.lite R2?

Thank you!!!

Edit: with the USB unplugged I can select DigiOne!

So having both plugged the default option to select is USB? 

Downloaded and running the 191231 img

The default alsa is 1.0.29?

I tried enabling MPD/upmpdcli/bubbleupnp in order to connect to Minimserver running on my NAS but the Lumin/Kazoo apps I use on my iPad (prefer Lumin) for remote couldn't see the Gentoo as Lumin. I only managed to play some files using bubbleupnp app in Android phone.
Any idea about what is wrong?

16 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

no, is 1.2.1.2 

you can't do resample co R2

you can do squeezelite no R2, but keep in mind that queezelite only accepts pcm or dsd as input formats, for my choice of compilation, so you should use C-3PO on lms, to send pcm...

a guide to squuezelite controls http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/squeezelite.1.html

have you checked the status of bubbleupnp?

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_overview.html

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_status.html

you have to pass the internet check test...if you don't pass it you have to open those ports on the router for the ip of the pc where bubbleupnp is running.....

thank you for such an instant reply!

I had no idea about the bubbleupnp status! But..

Before I discovered LMS/S.lite I was playing with the setup I describe above with another software (Archphile, not in development any more) with no issues so I guess there was/is no problem? No? I will check the links you provided! 

30 minutes ago, Loukiz said:

I tested the performance of the new kernels with cyclictest. Most important are the numbers on the right side for each of the cores, showing the maximum latency after 100000 cycles (4 cores, Raspberry Pi 3B+). See attached results.

Standard (non-real time kernels) cannot achieve the same latency performance, as can be seen. However, the standard real time kernel does not seem to perform that great either. 

There is also a difference in sound, at least in my system, some kernels seem to sound more analytical, while others tend to sound a little warmer (may also vary from system to system). 

image.thumb.png.a38b8487e66ed7189eb08c372b3925c3.png

image.thumb.png.372c0a5a7c0e5706251e4d121b7d5374.png

image.thumb.png.a3e74443a8c327cbe61bc5f4286d33e1.png

image.thumb.png.04f4dd74b66626f1c62e06298d57eb95.png

image.thumb.png.e298f7d674401ae3954f8bd124ec37b3.png

image.thumb.png.43267122a09420d23063a41324299ba1.png

image.thumb.png.1b42ba92e87c0e91cde31c01dbde2bc6.png

image.thumb.png.dc5ca4303f7c1e26fad8c2dd096669fd.png

image.thumb.png.45e6222226647ee389158cb9e75199c8.png

image.thumb.png.54d3badbe7e39a434b2e8fab598e997f.png

image.png

i don't know if i read something wrong but (some of) the kernels above have different names from those in the 191231 img

can't find them in the options

what is the default kernel?

Nr please

it seems that I can't play native 192KHz files

it seems that something is not OK

can't select DAC, Kernel, etc...

i get this msg: "Failed to load script info. Try to reload the page. Error message:
Failed to connect to the server"

I suppose I will have to re-burn the img?

Apart from this. Whatever I tried I couldn't play native 192KHz files with Allo DigioNe. Up to 96 OK.

I use Sq.lite R2. May be for DigiOne is better to use Squeezelite?

51 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

no,  you gave gp-update twice?

how did you deal with R2?

can you post the result of the alsacap command or the systeminfo screen?

what do you send to squeezelite-R2 from?

Yes I gave the gp-update twice!

I will give the alsacap result a little bit later! I'm out now.

I send to GP from lms running in another rpi3B with piCore. 

5 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

Yes I gave the gp-update twice!

I will give the alsacap result a little bit later! I'm out now.

I send to GP from lms running in another rpi3B with piCore. 

alsacap output:

GentooPlayerRpi64 ~ # alsacap
*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `sndallodigione', name `snd_allo_digione'
  Device 0, ID `Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', name `', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rate 32000..192000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE
    Buffer size range from 64 to 131072
    Period size range from 32 to 65536

i gave gp-update once more 

it seems that something was installed but again not all the web inteface menus work

I can play music though

I made some settings trough ssh:

1) ramsystem (it works but can't enable ramsave)

2) profile (it seems that it does the procedure to change but actually it doesn't. It is stuck to the P1 I had set some time before)

After the above the web gui doesn't load!

A huge THANKS to Antonello for his time!!!!!!!!

On 1/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, antonellocaroli said:

you can't do resample co R2

you can do squeezelite no R2, but keep in mind that queezelite only accepts pcm or dsd as input formats, for my choice of compilation, so you should use C-3PO on lms, to send pcm...

a guide to squuezelite controls http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/squeezelite.1.html

is there any possibility in the future, upsampling to be possible in Squeezelite R2?

thnx 

6 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

no, but it could be done with squeezelite. I should recompile it for resample.
You think that's useful?

Yes why not?

I should use c-3po on LMS though?

17 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

if you have squeezelite c-3po resample you don't need...

anyway, you can try it yourself if you want... it's pretty simple...

gp-update

emerge-webrsync  (only if you've never done it, it takes a while to sync with the repo gentoo)

then 

USE="flac mad mpg123 resample" emerge --ask squeezelite

then add to the squeezelite configuration file (sqc command)

values for resample

ex. -u hMX

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/squeezelite.1.html

the options file should become something like this:

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u hMX -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

or

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u vLX -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

or

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u vLX:2:6 -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

etc

-u <recipe>:<flags>:<attenuation>:<precision>:<passband_end>:<stopband_start>:<phase_response>

Thank you but I don’t think I’m such an expert user to implement my own upsampling recipies. 
I understand some things up to a point but no more!

When I was using piCore I relied on some ready stuff I found on line in Archimagos blog etc... and I implemented them inside the piCore GUI! 
If I try such a thing in Gentoo most probably I will make a mess!

Regards 

Michael!

2 hours ago, franz159 said:

Hi DomieMic65, I followed Antonello suggestions to recompile Squeezelite and enable reasmpling.

If you want to give it a try, you can see a recap of the procedure in my previous post...

Regards

Yes I have seen your post thnx for the feedback!!!!

I enabled Squeezelite and played with it a little... to try 
Apart from re/upsampling, it crashes when I try to play native 192Khz files (I use Allo Digione for time beeing... I didn't try with USB). 96KHz it's OK.
I had the same problem with Sq.lite R2 but Antonello fixed it!
Also I can't play Qobuz (LMS plug-in. With R2 no problem). Strangely Spotty plays just fine!!

33 minutes ago, franz159 said:

Didi you recompile squeezeleite as per the process indicated by Antonello that I sumamrized in post #652?

I'm asking because alzo for me Qobuz was not working, but it is now OK after recompiling squeezelite.

No.... I missed that!

i will try and I’ll report back

these days I have a lot of work and I didn’t keep up with the thread very well...