IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

Hello!

I would like to know more about opticalRendu and 9V PSU. The unit itself is marked as 6-9 VDC, but I`ve read here that 9V is "not recommended" or "not recommended in hot environments". I have Keces P8 PSU. It`s lowest output is 9V (actually display shows 9,1V).

What exactly that "not recommended" 9V will do? I understand how regulators work and opticalRendu will be warmer with 9V than with 7V. And that leads to what? SQ downgrade, shorter unit lifespan, dangerously hot case? Or it is just few degrees warmer and that`s all?

Can I safely use opticalRendu with my 9V PSU, assuming it would be plugged in 24/7?

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Sorry...this one slipped by on me. I would just try it at 9VDC. It could run okay or run warm depending on your AC voltage and the DAC bus power usage.  

Thank you for your answer. I understand that everything should be ok at 9V and opticalRendu might get warm, but would not be damaged by overheating or anything like that?

11 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Across the entire line of Rendu in the wild I can't think of a single unit damaged from running hot. Purchase with confidence knowing that we will take care of you. 

That’s great to hear! Thank you! 

• 2 months later...

Well, I`ve just listened to few albums with my new opticalRendu (with OM) and I`m impressed. Great addition to my Chord M Scaler + TT2 system. Interesting thing that it sounded really harsh at first launch. I left it playing at low volume for 2-3 hours, than returned to it and sound became much much better.

All in all - big improvement over my previous streamer (Allo USBridge). I`m constantly getting wow-moments here and there. Better separation, better sense of space, better rhythm, better vocal clarity and absolutely great low-end. I loved my controlled and punchy bass, but addition of opticalRendu made it almost unbelievably good.

I`m only worrying about two things now:

1. My opticalRendu runs hot with my 9V PSU. I`ve measured temperature on it`s case - 49 degrees Celsius. It does not get any hotter with time. I assume +49C is ok for it, but at which point should I start to worry?

2. Is there any sense in LPSU for optical module? Right now I`m using an iPad charger, which is a good SPSU. Optical connection will not pass any electrical noise, but how about the module itself? Will it benefit from LPSU, or there is nothing to worry about?

34 minutes ago, barrows said:

watch the heat and ambient room temperature

Thank you, will keep an eye on it.

By the way, does it have a "sleep mode" of some kind? I`ve stopped the music for an hour or so. M Scaler shows that USB input is not receiving anything, but OR it is still consuming 0,8A (according to my PSU indicator) and temperature is almost the same (only 2-3C less).

Is it ok to leave opticalRendu on 24/7?

2 hours ago, Reg19 said:

Does the SFP model being used affect the sound quality in the oR? If so, which ones are recommended?

I once tried to change SFP. Bought something recommended by other audiophiles. Didn’t hear any change in comparison to stock module. And I’m normally very sensitive to such things. I was able to hear difference between Farad and Keces LPSU for example.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, barrows said:

better retrieval of ambient details, the room sound (whether a real room or a imposed one via the recording process) will become more obvious and distinct.  Also small details regarding the timbre of instruments will be more present, and the entire presentation will become more real and alive, more like humans making music, rather than an electric facsimile

Absolutely agree on this. In my previous post I only mentioned the very basics, which is easy to hear.

I think PSUs (as one of the key components of "quality power") affect everything. Lower noise floor -> better retrieval of "small signals". And those "small signals" (details, quiet sounds - whatever we call it) is what gives us sense of realism in playback. Something like the difference between a modern 3D animation and a real movie.