IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

• 5 months later...

Joel Chevassus, who used to contribute to 6moons and now has his own website, reviewed the Tambaqi a year ago  (here, in French:https://audiophile-magazine.com/audiophile-magazine-n1-mars-2020/)  and noted one point which I am very curious about.

He states that he was hard pressed to find differences between CD quality (16/44) and higher resolution formats (DSD, or others), concluding "c'est assez incroyable" ("it's pretty amazing").

I don't know if he actually compared the same track (with the same mastering) in various formats. But regardless, I was wondering what current users of the Tambaqi have to say about this.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, barrows said:

A very high rate:

https://www.mola-mola.nl/dac.php

And then much higher even before the final 32 element discrete FIR filter converter.  Let's remember that in the case of Mr. Putzeys, we are dealing with someone who has loads of experience in SD modulator design, and the maths behind it.  This DAC also has more processing power than most, using 3 AD SHARC DSP chips.  Given how good it sounds with native rate files, it makes me wonder if this might be one of a very few DACs which might not benefit from external oversampling via HQPlayer-no matter what the user does, the Tambaqui's ASRC will be active and will be applying its internal SD modulation, volume control, and oversampling.

It would be interesting, if it were possible, to find out what the DAC converter section and output stage alone might sound like, but I doubt there are any owners who might want to hack their Tamabaqui to try this with HQPlayer feeding straight into the converter section! 

Sorry to ask a very basic question, that others may be curious about as well, but in layman's terms, what is the theoretical benefit of oversampling? 

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don’t think it’s theoretical. It’s objectively measurable. 

Ok, but I am just curious to understand. I'm not trying to challenge anything here,or derail the conversation, which in fact I initiated when mentioning J. Chevassus' comments above. 

• 10 months later...
27 minutes ago, barrows said:

Personally, I expect the better value proposition would be the Tambaqui (or Makua for those who might want an analog input) and then spend the savings over the Linn on that much better loudspeakers; +$20K will get one some much better speakers!

This reasoning could be applied to the Tambaqi as well. Get a 2000$ DAC and spend the 10000 $ on speakers instead...