IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

1 hour ago, ray-dude said:

There is a whole field of Information Theory devoted to this subject.  See for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittaker–Shannon_interpolation_formula

Directly germane to audio, with sinc-based filters used to interpolate values in upsampled music (for example, as used in Chord DACs).  The impact on time-domain accuracy/reproduction is profound.

It is not the upsampling that intrinsically improves SQ, but the algorithms and filters used in upsampling that improve SQ.  A high resolution file can sound worse than redbook, or it can sound like the original studio master before it got processed down to redbook.  With the later, things can be magical.

Great clarification you make Ray-dude! And to add to that, here's a great paper/article referenced by Rob Watts on the Chord site that clarifies just why upsampling done correctly is the key to accurate digital to analog restoration of the originally sampled analog signal - and also why it requires a lot of computing power to do (especially in realtime) https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/The-theory-behind-M-Scaler-technology.pdf

I suspect in a few years, there will be more realtime solutions (based on faster hardware and better software) for doing upsampling correctly/accurately and of course there are already solutions for non-realtime upsampling as your beta software does - even better than the MScaler. 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS to the DAVE is amazing, best DAC I've heard so far.  It is significantly beyond the TT2 and I also believe the Tambaqui.  As I have written before I didn't much care for the DAVE in stock form.  As others will have experienced when adding LPS on other equipment, the DC4 effects the DACs entire performance for the better.  I experienced a similar uplift adding linear to a qutest, but the DAVE and DC4 combination is dramatic. 

Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) should be with me in 2-4 weeks.

I'm very much looking forward to your comparison of the Chord Dave (with DC4) and the Holo May!