IGNORED

How long should an amplifier last?

infonut

9 hours ago, mansr said:

At that age, they would probably benefit from having their electrolytic capacitors replaced.

That applies especially to the large value main filter capacitors in the power supply area.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, davide256 said:
9 hours ago, infonut said:

1) capacitors have a finite life time. The big charging capacitors last pretty much forever but the smaller capacitors used in gain stage depending on type used can deteriorate.

That is incorrect.

2) volume/selector  knobs get dirt and ferrites

??? (is English your first language ? )

I Presume that you mean the carbon (etc.) tracks of the potentiometers and their wipers. The potentiometers are best replaced, although you may be able to prolong their lifetime a little.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

7 hours ago, marce said:

I have a working Audiolab 8000A from 1993 (re-capped).

The attached was a 100W/Ch. Mosfet amplifier build of mine from almost 30 years earlier that had been in a friend's garage for quite a few years.

E.E. Suzy J. from DIY Audio measured it and asked if I had access to distortion measuring equipment as the results with one channel were so good. The other channel was however almost a "basket case" due to dried out electros.

( I had added a Zener diode to help improve the front end balance)

ETI 477.jpg

ETI5000 top.jpg