IGNORED

A (Slightly Early) Christmas DAC Story Part One

Yeah. Step 1 was add power and change and strengthen the gearing because Porsche used a gearbox barely able to cope with the stock HP, which is why they started breaking. Step 2 is reduce weight. However, the 911 RSR has AC so I decided you can have my AC when you can rip it from my cold dead hands. I think I would either start towing it to the track, or just listen to the sweet sound coming out the exhaust.

No electron left behind.

14 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

you know... I was thinking acceleration (to move blood from the extremities or to them) but decided not to post

it's really a regional heterothermy issue...

Ah yeah I get it, as in how much blood was moved to my hands by the rapid deceleration. ha.  I was thinking along the lines of how much would I be sweating inside my driving gloves before I went into the trees.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Doc, if you have the Bose system that Porsche offers, I completely understand your desire to rip it out. Sounded terrible in my Cayman S. 

JC

Luckily the guy that ordered this GT4 and I are very alike, he also found no worth in either of the stereo options, so it has the standard system that comes with the Nav which is still outclassed by my phone and Google Maps.

IIRC a stereo delete was an option with these cars when they were new, so removing the stereo should be easy as physically removing it and then hooking the car up to a Porsche maintenance and diagnostic computer and setting it to radio delete operation, or whatever its called, to prevent the cars computer from going haywire.

No electron left behind.

I think it is illegal to use headphones while driving, the idea being you won't be able to hear emergency vehicles.

I think Gordon Murray might be making cars I can't afford. Although, if he (Gordon) wanted to give me a fully carbon McLaren F1, I wouldn't turn it down.

Regardless, I trust that Porsches GT department has properly sorted the suspension and brakes for me. One of the things that come with the GT4 is brake cooling ducts that can be installed after the sale, those are in as well. Not to mention the suspension and aero is adjustable as well. Power and strength of the gearbox were the cars only weaknesses as far as I am concerned. I have a long ways to go before I get good enough to over power the brakes and reach the limit of the suspension.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

For DIYers, I usually advocate explaining the expensive, shiny wrenches & sockets in the toolbox as "jewelry"

there may be a way to use that for HiFi system components too...

If she were into anything expensive, that would probably work, she is way too frugal. ha. 

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, accwai said:

Stick shift manual tends to require quite a bit of focus to keep appropriate engine RPM at all times. And whereever one is, one can always carefully shift the weight around, trade between braking and steering etc. That's entertaining enough already personally.

Sadly old fashioned stick shift is dying. Autoblipping on modern DCT has made a lot of the traditional fancy footwork obsolete.

Which is why I plan on keeping my car for a very long time.

No electron left behind.

10 hours ago, accwai said:

In a decade, likely nobody will be doing any driving at all.

First, self driving cars become non self driving cars up here in the north when there is snow on the roads because they can't see the lines.

Second, God Bless Aston Martin...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/aston-martin-db4-gt-continuation-driven-a-brand-new-old-car-review

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Tesla has a new patent appl. for super accurate GPS - the no lines issue will be dealt with

Really? Thats cool.  Do you want to trust it?  ha.

edit: They are also reportedly putting a 200kWh battery in the new roadster, once that goes in the Model S I think will be my buy in point for a Model S as my daily driver.

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Tesla makes a big deal about the speed of their cars (a new Model 3 will do 0-100 KpH in about 3 seconds flat) and they never talk about handling. Truth is, Teslas' handling isn't so great. Sabine Schmitz, the "queen of the Nürburgring" once took a (then new) white Ford Transit panel van around the Nordschleife circuit in just under 10 minutes; which is also what a Tesla Model S did it in. Cars like the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio sedan do it in the low sevens, and race prepared Porsches do it in the low 6's. Of course, no "record" at the Ring stands for long, and I'm sure these records will fall soon (if they haven't already).  

My desire for the bigger battery has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with range, specifically range in cold weather, which as I am sure you know has a significant impact on battery performance.

I know all about Sabine Schmitz and ring times...

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

it is advancing very quickly, really

look at how fast virology advanced after HIV - when you throw a lot of money at something, rates generally increase

but the real question is "every day usage" by who...  EVs need to get cheap for masses of people to buy them, tho the AV can make lots of people buy them quickly

Like the man said "The future is already here, it just isn't evenly distributed."

Cars, homes, trucks, etc... In not just price, but convenience as well.

No electron left behind.