IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2019 at 4:36 PM, clipper said:

Are you choosing the correct output device when you start squeezelite?

Do a squeezelite -l command to see the available output devices.

If I don't specify front (see below), I get 48 for everything.  I start squeezelite by typing squeezelite -o front &. 

1153779837_ScreenShot2019-01-05at9_34_06AM.thumb.png.abf4ed83309cb9504d53473b7768b8e1.png

Thank you for sharing this. On my system the Squeezlite is also stuck on 48kHz. When I go to the Status menu, Audio card status, and type 0, the Playback device is always on 48kHz, even if Interface 1 has rates 44100 through 192000.

I can stop all running services, and then type 'squeezelite -o front &' in the terminal to start squeezelite using "front". Then it outputs the correct samplerate, corresponding with the input signal (LMS or Roon).

But it does not keep it's setting. This setting is not there anymore in the file at /etc/squeezelite.conf, as in earlier versions of AL.

My question is: can I edit AL 0.8 somewhere, that it keeps 'front' as setting for squeezelite?

23 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

What is the content of /etc/squeezelite.conf?

You must edit it manually with the right parameters.

You must use in this case squeezelite (not R2) and start squeezelite not R2 version

...And in ram mode you must save system

Contents of the file are:

# default squeezelite configuration

LOG_FILE="-f /var/log/squeezelite.log"

In an earlier version of AL there was a line referring to the sound card. It was something like 'default:CARD=Eitr' that needed to be changed to 'front:CARD=Eitr,DEV=0'.

But now that line is not there, so I'm not sure what to enter there.

• 6 months later...

I'm trying to figure out how I can mount a USB stick on AL, and then share it to the network. I want to try using my NUC as a single box solution, with AL on an octane drive, running Roon, and having all music on a USB drive/stick.

I managed to mount the USB stick, it needs to be formatted in NTFS, or in EXT4, and I can access it in the terminal.

There is also a network drive showing up, named "audiolinux", with the folders "audiolinux" and "Downloads". In "audiolinux" are the subfolders "Downloads" and "Music". So I can drag and drop music from my computer into the Music folder for instance, but the space on the optane drive is limited off course.

How can I share a mounted USB drive with the network? I tried mounting it at /media/samba, but that does not seem to work.

1 hour ago, hifi25nl said:

You should edit as root /etc/samba/smb.conf and add something like this:

[MyMusic]
path = /media/samba
available = yes
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = yes

Samba server must be up. As root type

systemctl enable smb

systemctl enable nmb

Finally reboot

Thank you very much! This was what I needed. I've added the folders, and can now access them over the network. Great support, thanks Piero!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cat6man said:

will audiolinux and hqplayer run ramroot mode in 4Gig of RAM?

NM:  i see 8Gig is min recommendation on AL website.

On my system with 8GB, when I don't activate ramroot, I think 2 GB could even be enough. When you check RAM usage in the menu, it's incredibly low, especially when used as endpoint (airplay/squeezelite/Roon bridge). Mostly there is something like 400MB in use. Also LMS is not very big. It's mostly Roon server that uses a lot of resourses.