IGNORED

AT&T Fiber Internet

AT&T is busy installing fiber in my community.  It's great because Comcast will have some real competition for the first time in 20 years.  Has anyone got some experience with AT&T fiber internet?  It's only been rolled out in a limited number of cities so far.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Oh yeah, AT&T Uverse was absolutely horrible.  I tried it.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 12:39 PM, daverich4 said:

They’re right in the middle of tearing up our neighborhood to put it in right now. So far they’ve broken the main water line twice and cut the Charter cable once

They finished digging and burying conduit today.  Good job ... no disruptions to existing services!  Tomorrow, they will begin entering the townhouses here to do something.  The entire complex is prewired for Comcast, so I'm not sure what AT&T needs to do inside each unit.  They still need to run the actual fiber through the conduit they've installed, but apparently that isn't difficult.

I'm really looking forward to getting half decent upstream bandwidth.  My Comcast is 150/10 Mbps.  AT&T is offering 100/300/1000 with symmetric upstream/downstream.  Lately Comcast speeds have been all over the map.  It used to be pretty consistently good.

Anyone with AT&T fiber tried their Uverse TV service?  The old non-fiber Uverse was horrible, awful compression on HD channels.  I haven't had cable TV for quite a while.

49 minutes ago, cjf said:

If you live in an area like myself who has had ZERO other choices but Commie Cast for the past 20yrs and thus had to put up with their arrogance and total lack of concern for anything customer related I would jump ship in a heartbeat if the option was there to do so. Even if it cost me more money!

That's the plan.

• 2 months later...

AT&T is finally accepting orders in my community.  My installer is coming on Feb 21.  I ordered 300 Mbps fiber internet service for $70 a month.  Comcast currently wants $80 a month for 150 Mbps.  Buh bye, Comcast!  Gigabit service is only $90 a month but I don't think I need it.  I don't watch TV much and I don't even have a cable subscription.

AT&T also threw in a free 4K Apple TV which I'll probably sell because I have a Panasonic 4K Blu-Ray player and an LG OLED TV.  I doubt I also need a 4K Apple TV ... but Apple is about to announce their new TV service, so we'll see.

OK I'm up and running on 300 Mbps fiber internet.  The install went fine, but the tech was clueless about how to use my own RT-AC3100 Asus router and just use the provided BGW210-700 gateway as a modem only.

There's a lot of inaccurate information about this on various internet forums.  Since I don't follow them, I don't know which contributors have a track record of correct advise.

A supervisor on the phone said they don't recommend using their gateway in bridge mode.  I need to find out why.  So the tech just turned off the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios on the gateway.  There's no way this is optimal, but I need a networking guru to tell me the right way to do it ... and I'm not sure AT&T is going to connect me with such a resource.  I'm pretty sure I still have double NAT.

Interesting ... a speedtest with just the gateway easily does 300 Mpbs upstream and downstream.  With my router in the picture, I get 300 Mbps downstream but only 130 Mbps upstream.  Obviously, I need to change something on my router but I'm not sure what to change.  I think this can be done without resorting to QoS.  Any ideas?

This was weird.  My router IP changed from 192.168.1.1 (the default) to 192.168.2.1!  How did that happen?

The fun part of the day was calling Comcast to cancel my internet.  Of course, they wanted to look up their 'best offers' but I told them I'd already given them a chance to secure my business and messed up by not offering me a good deal.  Buh-bye.

Hey @austinpop PhD could you help me with this? 

44 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

Of course, you need the AT&T Gateway if you want TV or VoIP service in addition to internet.  (I certainly don’t.)

I only ordered fiber internet and they AT&T still gave me their gateway.