IGNORED

Stereophile / Art Dudley: First Time Redbook Preferred Over MQA?

In his review of the MyTek Liberty DAC, Art Dudley, who is the only Stereophile writer I still read, says:

"Streaming MQA files from Tidal proved a mixed bag—though here I advise the reader that all of my stated praise and blame may have less to do with the Liberty DAC than the MQA files themselves. Comparing the MQA and 16/44.1 versions of "Since I've Been Loving You," from Led Zeppelin's III (Atlantic), I thought the latter sounded more dynamic/less compressed, and altogether more involving; in particular, the kick drum in the MQA version sounded less like a drum than someone tapping his thumb on an open mike."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-liberty-da-processor-page-2#wueKB10oZjEeLiwE.99

is this the first time Redbook got the nod nod over MQA? I think so...

But he then goes on to prefer a Bowie MQA album (ZIggy) to Redbook..(but which, there are dozens!)...

29 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

Just to be fair -- in case anyone is inclined to fairness -- there is an excellent chance that the MQA files and redbook files for any album on Tidal are derived from different masterings.  The mastering differences are likely to have a greater impact on sound quality than the format differences.

Yes, and that point is completely lost on Dudley.