IGNORED

Stereophile / Art Dudley: First Time Redbook Preferred Over MQA?

In his review of the MyTek Liberty DAC, Art Dudley, who is the only Stereophile writer I still read, says:

"Streaming MQA files from Tidal proved a mixed bag—though here I advise the reader that all of my stated praise and blame may have less to do with the Liberty DAC than the MQA files themselves. Comparing the MQA and 16/44.1 versions of "Since I've Been Loving You," from Led Zeppelin's III (Atlantic), I thought the latter sounded more dynamic/less compressed, and altogether more involving; in particular, the kick drum in the MQA version sounded less like a drum than someone tapping his thumb on an open mike."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-liberty-da-processor-page-2#wueKB10oZjEeLiwE.99

is this the first time Redbook got the nod nod over MQA? I think so...

But he then goes on to prefer a Bowie MQA album (ZIggy) to Redbook..(but which, there are dozens!)...

29 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

Just to be fair -- in case anyone is inclined to fairness -- there is an excellent chance that the MQA files and redbook files for any album on Tidal are derived from different masterings.  The mastering differences are likely to have a greater impact on sound quality than the format differences.

Yes, and that point is completely lost on Dudley.

16 hours ago, Anodyne Jones said:

In his review of the MyTek Liberty DAC, Art Dudley, who is the only Stereophile writer I still read, says:

"Streaming MQA files from Tidal proved a mixed bag—though here I advise the reader that all of my stated praise and blame may have less to do with the Liberty DAC than the MQA files themselves. Comparing the MQA and 16/44.1 versions of "Since I've Been Loving You," from Led Zeppelin's III (Atlantic), I thought the latter sounded more dynamic/less compressed, and altogether more involving; in particular, the kick drum in the MQA version sounded less like a drum than someone tapping his thumb on an open mike."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-liberty-da-processor-page-2#wueKB10oZjEeLiwE.99

is this the first time Redbook got the nod nod over MQA? I think so...

But he then goes on to prefer a Bowie MQA album (ZIggy) to Redbook..(but which, there are dozens!)...

Yes, he says the MQA version of Ziggy crushes other versions. Of course, we don't know if is from a superior source or not. I compared it to my 24/96 version from 2012. It does sound different, and yes, the drums do sound better. But I wouldn't swear it's the same version, and in any case the MQA doesn't "crush" my version. More like a different flavor of the same thing.

No "crush". I think if it "crushed" it, I'd hear it. 

(Of course, his reaction to the MQA could just be normal audiophile over-reaction, where every small difference is described as something overwhelmingly different/better).

So again, why do we need MQA instead of "regular" hi-res?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

14 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Hello Anodyne. Back again? What do I even mean?

I think dave meant that Art Dudley is a known , experienced, established pro whether you like what he does or not. Who mare you? Godd question!

ralf:  you've got to be kidding.

That is exactly what I meant. I’ve been reading Art Dudley ever since I was a subscriber to Listener Magazine. In his comments about MQA he gave very specific, detailed descriptions of what he heard. My experience with MQA is different from his, I’m not able to reliably tell the difference between MQA and PCM but that doesn’t mean he can’t. There certainly are numerous people on these forums who claim to hear differences. 

Coincidentally I find all the Led Zeppelin MQA's flawed. I mean, I don't have problems with other MQA's but these hurt my ears.

Maybe it's because they were from an early batch (they were anyway).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

12 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

daviruch - He is referring to the fact that many masterings differ for MQA releases, and obviously masterings are a large aspect of SQ

- are you unaware of this?????

How could I be unaware of that after it’s been pointed out hundreds and hundreds of times on these forums? Anodyne posted his comment as if it was a fresh new idea. Not hardly. My response to Anodyne was meant to point out the arrogance of suggesting that someone with Art’s background would be unaware of the effect different masterings have on sound quality across all media types, not just digital. In fact, it’s a topic he’s covered numerous times in his articles over the years. 

11 hours ago, kumakuma said:
12 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Hydra Jones.? This guy just loves CA!

And hates MQA!

Really, does he.? :D I've always wondered where does his fuel for MQA aversion come from. Someone knows the answer.? (don't feel like googling it)