IGNORED

when using a LPSU what else is important, other than ripple/noise?

1 hour ago, the_doc735 said:

e.g.   "broadband ultra-low impedance"?    ...etc.?    What else can the LPSU deilver, that the SMPS cannot?

Nothing much really. So :

22 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Output impedance is important. Step response (to a sudden current demand) may well be important, depending on what its powering. Capacitance to mains is fairly important.

In all that the SMPS is better. This indeed means that these are the points of attention.

Btw, how the SMPS reacts to step response in combination with output impedance is a downside for the remainder of the system. So now make that LPS with continuous sufficient supply. Like a shunt continuously drawing 20 Amps or so.

Maybe not.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 minutes ago, opus101 said:

But with a linear regulator there's no switching to worry about so the bandwidth of the regulator can be freely chosen.

IME (but never really measured anything but current draw) it is the supply system as a whole. Think : demand (in ATX) -> capacitor bank -> Regulator (12V) -> capacitor bank -> Rectifying -> Transformer (-> power cord -> mains socket). I'd say only the part between braces is equal for the LPS and the SMPS.

All is connected with wiring and all is subject to slugginess (and capacitance).

1. The trick is to have that LPS which is so fast that you can't see it on the current draw (spiking). Only if you try it, you'll know what I mean.

2. Compare this with the same "measurement" of the SMPS and see how it goes all over the place.

1) When not arranged for properly that too goes all over the place but more comfortable, so to speak. More smooth. However, it means that it will be too slow because no demand goes that slow (compare with the SMPS to see it happen).

Of course I am talking "during playback" and now also a whole operating system and playback software is involved. But it is like it is.

I find designing power supply systems an act of art.

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 hour ago, rhern213 said:

I wanted to get someone's opinion who's more technically savvy about LPSU's if this unit seems like something worth trying?

Please. Read into such stuff on a daily basis and learn / know that it is all babble. I have no idea how to explain it or "teach" for the better, but at sentence #3 I have a OMG.

A kind of trick could be to source the same product elsewhere, over there. Then you get the grasp of "millions" of these same devices being out there, next each supplier making up his own story. Or, find out what this same supplier supplies more to you.

In this case our Chinese good guy is based in the US (over here they are all located in the UK - ahum) but anyway good that you can buy a steamer

We offer custom made for input voltage other than AC 120V. Lead time will be 60 days upon clear payment.

Don't. It's the bad guy.

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 hour ago, rhern213 said:

Would it be any better than one of the random el-cheapo Chinese LPSU's on ebay?

Maybe anticipate on those devices destroying your precious gear it feeds.

I don't think it was in this thread but even HDPlex (the best known of all of them ?) is destructive as hell. There's just no QC out there and in this realm (PSU's) it is dangerous. Really. I'd stay away from it unless you can keep up your own pants with it.

XXHighEnd (developer)