IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

24 minutes ago, semente said:

A good system will not sound loud even when it's playing loud.

Could it have been the distortion and not the loudness that scared him off?

I went to a friends the other day to listen to his new rig - Hegel H190 and B&W 702's and SVS subwoofer. I had to constantly turn it down on him - the sub actually made me physically ill feeling, and the whole thing just sounded disorganized and veiled and fatiguing. He had zero optimizations going on (power, vibration, etc) and the source was an SSD drive into the USB of an Oppo BD player. The sound had enormous scale and was very full of course, but almost impossible to follow any single instrument. It could reproduce that pounding attack one gets down at front at a live rock show (my little 35W amp won't do that) but couldn't do, say,  the detail and PRAT of a small jazz ensemble  in Rudy Van Gelder's living room. 

I didn't say much one way or the other as he thinks he's got an amazing sounding setup, and he couldn't be bothered to add anything else, not even cable or optical for ethernet to the room so he could stream properly vs navigating folders only on the barebones Oppo app. He also has a big 10 foot long modern credenza between the speakers that the Hegel sits on top of the Oppo in, all plugged into a cheap power strip. It's a shame as it's not inexpensive gear. 

In comparison, my setup sounds much smaller and thinner, but one can hear every instrument in isolation and detail. I don't need to, and don't want to listen to it at ear splitting volumes. It won't reproduce a Tool concert but will put Thelonious and his piano right there in the room with you. Each to his own I guess. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.