IGNORED

Article: RMAF 2018 Show Report

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Another random vignette from RMAF...

I'm sitting listening in the MSB room, and a gentleman seated in the sweet spot compliments Vinco Galbo on the truly gigantic display on the front panel of the DAC. This guy was probably north of the median age of RMAF attendees. Vince half-jokingly described how they internally called it the "old man display," and then went on to reveal that the display alone cost them over $700 in parts.

Think about that when you consider the effect the rich geezer-atti have on high-end component design.

I’ve seen really high end car displays used in audio components with similar cost results due to low quantities. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Agreed, Chris. Was just pointing it out in the context of high prices of high end gear, and what drives those requirements.

I doubt a typical CA'er would have wanted to push for a part like that - which probably drove MSRP up by $1.5-3k.

Based on an average 5x-8x multiplier your estimate is low. 

Dang old guys, put on glasses. Only kidding ?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png