IGNORED

Compact subwoofer for Ruark MR1 Mk2 speakers

My Ruark MR1 Mk2 speakers sound and look fantastic. They are tiny speakers so bass is limited and it's not a big issue for me. Having said that, Ruark have thoughtfully added a subwoofer line out on them. Just to complete my computer sound system, I'm after a compact subwoofer that can be hidden away and produces good quality bass (below 75Hz as that's the lower limit of the Ruark MR1 Mk2 speakers).

Any recommendations for a good sounding subwoofer that isn't overpowering, doesn't produce a messy boom, is compact and doesn't cost too much? I'm not after the final word in bass - just something to get a little more definition below 75Hz.

• 3 weeks later...

I should have updated this thread - I found a great subwoofer: the BK Electronics XLS200. Fairly compact for my small study room at home and quite amazing sound. Lots of tweakability and a subwoofer in the HiFi sense of the word rather than a boom box.

It took a week or two of fine tuning but it's the perfect subwoofer for the Ruark MR1 Mk2 speakers. I've set it up so that it seems like the Ruarks are producing the bass rather than the subwoofer. I'm very, very impressed with it and don't really notice it any more (unless my foot kicks it by accident under my desk).

I opted for the auto-on function to be installed, which was a free-of-charge option. So now I have a computer-based audio system where my DAC, speakers and subwoofer all go into sleep mode and 'wake up' automatically. The convenience is a real big plus for me.

BK Electronics subwoofers are built to order and they're a British company, as is Ruark.