IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

8 hours ago, firedog said:

Many home ovens don't really get hot enough to do pizza properly. Most charcoal grills can get very hot; I've done pizza on a grill and it works very well. You just have to be careful b/c it is ready much faster than in most ovens. 

I'd say most home ovens don't. What would be good for home pizza cooks would be if there were some way to interrupt an electric oven's self-clean cycle. On my stove, for instance, the oven has a special lever inside the oven door. When you throw that lever, and close the door, the oven goes to close to 1000 degrees F; perfect for pizza - except for one thing. When you close the door it locks and you can't open it again until the clean cycle finishes. If you put a pizza in there, by the time the oven let you back in, that pizza would be ashes. However, if you could place a pizza stone in the oven, and if you could modify the system so that the door doesn't lock when self cleaning, you could bring the oven up to full cleaning temperature, open the door, slide the raw pizza onto the stone, close the door, time out about 90 seconds open the door and slide the now cooked and slightly charred (desirable) pizza onto a pizza pan for slicing!

Kinda risky though. And it would certainly void your stove's warranty (and probably your household fire insurance!).

George

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Most home ovens have a “self clean” mode where they super-heat to burn off all drips and stains.  I suppose one could try scorching a pizza with that setting—though as I recall, my oven physically locks its door during the self clean cycle for safety. :o

Yep, That's what They do. You can't get to cleaning temperature without throwing the lever inside the oven door, but throwing that lever locks the door shut until the cleaning cycle is finished. Lessee, cooking a pizza for 15 minutes at 900-1000 degrees F? I don't think so.

Even professional electric or gas pizza ovens from companies like Blodgett or Wolf don't go much above 600 degrees F. 

George