IGNORED

McCartney's 'Band On The Run' in 24/96 Download

Got both the limited and unlimited yesterday. Only paid $9.99, but they sent me download codes for both versions. They've also changed the site pricing again: it's now back to $19.99 for each version, so they mistakenly gave me a great deal.

The $19.99 is sort of pricey, and not a good idea in my opinion. I think it's a case where greed will lead to less profit in the end.

As far as the sound of the limited version:

Pros: Louder (obviously), by what seems like about 3db (didn't measure). But seriously, the most noticeable difference is that Paul's bass is louder and more prominent than on the unlimited. That on it's own is sort of a good thing, I think it matches the "sound" intended for the album.

Cons: But because of the limiting, the balance between the instruments in the mix is negatively effected. Example: the guitar in the opening of Mamunia - you can hear it in both versions, but in the Limited version it is more in the background, more overshadowed by the prominent bass.

Overall I like the limited, but not as much as the unlimited. The limiting is not heavily done, and it sounds fine. I think I might like the limited version better for casual or background listening, or on an mp3 player. It's definitely not as good for critical listening.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

To get back to an earlier point you made, yes, part of the beauty of less compression and greater dynamics is that you CAN turn it up.

There was a movement a couple of years back: http://www.turnmeup.org/ but it never seemed to gain much steam. The only "mainstream" CD I have that's endorsed by them is Elbow's "Seldom Seen Kid".

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

• 2 weeks later...