IGNORED

McCartney's 'Band On The Run' in 24/96 Download

• 2 weeks later...

Actually for $19.99 you can buy two versions of the 24/96 WAV download one which they term "limited" where some minimal compression and noise reduction is done similar to the Beatles remasters of 2009 and the other, "unlimited" without any compression for greater dynamic range and without noise reduction.

Additionally in the past week they have changed the pricing so that you can select either the "limited" or the "unlimited" version for $9.99 versus having to buy both for $19.99.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I have just purchased both hires versions. All I get when downloaded are two MP3 tracks, totaling 21MB.

Has anyone had success with downloading these files?

Weyskipper[br]WD2TB->MacMini 2010 HDMI (Amarra Mini)-> FireWire -> Weiss DAC202 -> Nordost Valhalla ->Audio Research Ref 5-> Krell 403 -> Nordost Valhalla -> Wilson Watt Puppy 8. Power: Nordost VH, Quantum QX4, Nordost Thor[br]AV: Oppo BD95 / MacMini -> HMDI -> Krell S1200 -> Audio Research (Processor Bypass).

I've ordered the "unlimited" version of the High-Resolution downloads, as - if I feel the need for - some additional limiting wouldn't be a problem to add afterwards.

It's not my prefered musical style, but I feel the need to buy it anyway to support the decision to make High-Resolution files available for the public.

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

@Harald

That's what i call a true audiophile. Buying a Hi-Res album, which he don't like that much, just to support the technology. Good man.

I would like to see which version sells better.

But considering that only audiophiles buy Hi-Res, they should know about the importance of dynamic.

Lakefield ...

I just couldn't resist in getting one for the money they ask for.

About 7,50€ is well spent, I think.

As I like the Beatles remasters (got the 44,1/24 versions), I'm pretty sure I wont be too much disappointed by that one ;-)

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

and downloading now ...

As I#m on a quite slow (and frustrating ...) DSL line, it may take some hours, but ... it's on the way ;-)

Cheers

Harald

I just got the codes to download. It is a 2.4GB zip file, and looks like it may take a couple of hours to download.

BTW, I ordered only the unlimited version for $9.99, and they sent me codes for both limited and unlimited versions. So it looks like they still have some "problems" on their end. Once in a while the consumer gets lucky.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

with the 25th anniversary redbook. The 24/96 unlimited files are quiet a bit quieter and a cleaner top end. Hammond organ on Let Me Roll it is quite a bit clearer......BUT the weight is gone! Bass is clean and natural, but the upper midbass that gave this album it's necessary heft and ballsiness is gone. Mamunia is fine and cleaner, but Mrs Vandebilt? That bass line is what keeps the song together, and now its clean and deep, but not growly. Maybe a function of the unlimited version (although this album does not have much dynamics; Paul always assumed it was gonna be played loud and on boom boxes), but so far (10 minutes) I'm not geeked. Stay tuned. Anybody else?

I own the standard CD (not the "anniversary") and the DCC Remix(Steve Hoffman)

Just started listening (on a good audiophile stereo). Ted, I don't hear what you're hearing. Don't hear a lack of bass or heft. Seems fine to me. I do hear more clarity between the instruments: for instance the guitars and other instruments at the beginning of "Mrs. Vandebilt" are much more clearly deliniated. It's interesting, as I'd never thought of them as not having clarity before.

Granted, I've just started listening. But actually, the DCC version has the most weighty strong bass.

I'm downloading the "limited" version now. Will see how it compares, and get back. My initial impression may also change when I do some prolonged critical listening.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Hi!

I've finished the downloading (of the "unlimited" version) a few minutes back, and have listened first to "Blue Bird", because i liked to listen to Pauls voice and the percussive elements in there.

I can "only" compare it to the DCC/Hoffmann version, which I find a (little) bit more pronounced in the bass region, but Pauls voice is clearer on the new remaster.

But I have to admit that I only had listened to it with headphones, as I don't have a computer based playback on my main system (see sig)!

That first listening expreience seems to confirm that this was/is a good buy, which I might enjoying more as I've thought I will, so keep it rolling ...

Cheers

Harald

It looks Paul's release team took a sensible approach. Instead of limiting choices, they put something out there for everyone. They did not bury the hi-res in an expensive blue ray (Tom Petty) or box set (Bowie - station to station). It is great to be able to pick and choose exactly what I want "a la carte" or packaged together. I don't think they could have offered all these choices any other way than they have done, with one well organized web page.

Anybody buy one of the sets with both? That would be interesting:not how much the hi-res sounds vs our older versions, but how it sounds vs the new remaster in 16/44.1. Is what we're hearing a result of the hi-res, or just a result of the remastering?

1 hour in and 0.5GB out of 5.2GB, it is going to be a long night....(that is in the UK)

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I've had the time now to do some intense A/B comparison with earlier versions, and also to listen closely to the whole CD (not including bonus tracks) one time through.

Overall, I will say that I really like the hi-res remaster. The biggest improvement is one of clarity: you can hear each instrument clearly, even those in the background or deeper in the mix. There's also more "air" between instruments, as the audiophiles like to say. For instance, in "Picasso's Last Words" and "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five", there are some maracas or a similar type of instrument playing. I find that I seem to able hear the individual seeds or beans inside them being struck.

Related to this clarity is improved dynamics. Sounds that are supposed to "jump out" at you really do. I also find the drums have more thump or slam than the earlier version.

I will say that I liked the remaster best when I increased the volume 2-3 db's (according to my volume knob) over the level I would usually listen to it at. This seemed to bring out the positive features even more. Maybe this has something to do with the "unlimited" nature of the release? So it will be interesting to see how I like the "limited" version when it finishes downloading in about half and hour.

I don't, by the way, find the improvements here as great as on the Beatles remasters. There, I could hear tons of detail that I didn't before. There is more detail here, but not as much of an addition as what I heard on the Beatles remasters.

But all in all, I'm happy with the purchase. Noticeably improved sound. More enjoyable to listen to compared to what I had before.

OK so I have download the file below

USED - Band on the Run - High Resolution_ Limite.zip

It is 5.20GB - and will not unzip, is it just me?

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers