IGNORED

Weiss Dac2 firewire connection problem

Hi everybody!

I got Weiss Dac2 from Vintageking yesterday (demo) and there was firewire connection problem.

My Mac Pro(early 2009) and Macbook pro (early 2008) both refused to detect the Dac2.

I installed the new weiss driver, tried different firewire cables, tried different combination on mac /dac powering.

I just wanted to check with you guys to see if you have any fresh ideas on this issue before I send the dac back.

Thank you

2010 Mac Pro (westmere 6-core, 16G Ram)[br]M2Tech Vaughan DAC[br]McIntosh MA6600 integrated[br]B&W805S[br]Luxman P1_u[br]Sennheiser HD800[br]Silver Streak Interconnects

When you say you have tried different "powering", have you unplugged the Dac2 from the mains? The power button on the front of the Dac2 does not power it down completely.

Occasionally the Dac2 can lose its connection, in which case unplugging from the mains then powering up again has always fixed it for me. Oh, also do this before removing any firewire cable else it can have issues reconnecting.

I hope this helps.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Yes, I tried this option too (unplugging the power cable from the outlet)

2010 Mac Pro (westmere 6-core, 16G Ram)[br]M2Tech Vaughan DAC[br]McIntosh MA6600 integrated[br]B&W805S[br]Luxman P1_u[br]Sennheiser HD800[br]Silver Streak Interconnects

Thank you David for your response.

It's not my intention to be rude but I would like to ask you this:

"Occasionally the Dac2 can lose its connection..."

So it's pretty common for this unit to lose the firewire connection once in a while? How ofter should I expect this to happen?

Thanks

In my case, I had some problems with it until I worked out that if I was going to switch things off it was best to switch of the Dac2 first using then front button, then shutdown my MacMini, with the reverse order for powering up.

To be honest, I no longer switch either unit off and have not had any problems since adopting this policy.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Thanks David,

I guess it's just a bad luck and I should return the dac back to vintageking for exchange for a new one.

And since installing the latest firmware and driver updates (probably 4-6 months ago) I have absolutely no connection issues whatsoever. Any that I did have were solved via pulling the power plug. I am going to suggest a bad fw cable as one thing to look at. Buy a $17 goldx one.

"Have you tried contacting Weiss about this problem? "

I'm bringing the problem because I've already tried all the tweaks advised by Danial and customer service reps from vintagekings.

If roscoeiii has some problem with my posting here I apologize for taking his time reading it.

my friend with his minerva had a problem too with the firewire chips, so he had to send it back to weiss for repair.

the best solution to avoid future firewire problems is to open your firewire cable as i have done and cut and isolate the white cable ( bus power) ..

and it's sounding better too..

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I got the dac2 replaced and everything works fine now.

Thank you all for your help.