IGNORED

New iMac Music Server need advice

This is all new to me so if my questions seem simple I apologize. I am setting up my first music server and want it to be simple to use, simple to set up, and audiophile quality.

iMac 27 with 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i5 , with 8Gb, and 2TB of disc. I am ripping 1000 CD's and in the future 1000 LP's. Here is where I need help.

I understand iTunes is rich in functionality and easy to use but is not designed for an audipohile necassarily.

1. What is the easiest and best ripping software? Is iTunes OK for ripping?

2. What is the best Juke Box software? Is iTunes acceptable?

3. What is the best player software? Is itunes acceptable?

4. Has anyone used GD3 lookups? How does Amara compare to Pure Music? Are those the only 2 contenders?

In reading some of Chris's recommendations I observe the following:

1. I wanted to use a loader from Get Digital Data but only available on PC

2. I wanted to use EAC or dbPower, but not available for Mac.

All advice would be appreciated.

Dave C.

iTunes is great for ripping. Under Preferences->General set "When you inset a CD" to "Import CD and Eject", and set the Import Settings to Apple Lossless Encoder or AIFF (AIFF files are larger) and check the "Use Error Correction" box. Then just feed in your CDs!

I also use iTunes for everything else. It sounds great in my setup, and I love how convenient it is, especially using the Apple Remote app on my iPad and iPhone.

nigel[br]ALAC stored on Drobo -> Mac Mini -> iTunes -> Airport Express (1st gen) -> Monoprice toslink -> NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier -> Wilson Benesch Curve

iTunes can play hi res files, but you have to manually change the bit rate to match in the Audio MIDI Setup application, or iTunes will sample rate convert them on the fly to 44.1kHz (or to whatever rate is set in Audio MIDI Setup). Some other players can deal with this automatically, I understand.

This isn't a big deal to me, because the vast majority of my music is ripped from CD or downloaded in CD quality, and anyway I use AirPlay/AirTunes to stream to an Airport Express, which is limited to 44.1kHz.

nigel[br]ALAC stored on Drobo -> Mac Mini -> iTunes -> Airport Express (1st gen) -> Monoprice toslink -> NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier -> Wilson Benesch Curve

1) iTunes is the easiest for ripping and does a good job with CDs in good condition. Personally I use XLD as it has SecureRip facility which gives more confidence that the CD was ripped correctly. I have around 1000 albums from 90s onwards, about 80% were ripped in iTunes and 1 or 2 have had issues. Follow the advise you were given on ripping to AIFF or Apple Lossless and make sure you turn error correction on before ripping.

2) iTunes is a great software on the Mac. It's a good starting point and you can then trial Pure Music and/or Amarra to see if you find an improvement. There is also Play (from sbooth.org) which is more basic (in terms of interface and management) but some people feel is superior in sound quality. iTunes will play high resolution files but you have to manually select the sample rate in the Audio MIDI control app (or allow iTunes to re-sample everything to e.g. 24/96).

3) see 2 above

4a) no, never used GD3 for metadata

4b) Currently available there is Amarra and Pure Music. There is also talk about 1 or 2 other applications "coming soon" but no official information is available about them. Also (as mentioned above) sbooth.org has Play as another piece of playback software - this doesn't interface with iTunes at all.

In reference to Chris' ripping recommendations, XLD and Max are two pieces of software very similar to EAC and dbPowerAmp on the PC. You could use the Get Digital Data software via Bootcamp on your Mac.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

Well I just received my new iMac27 with 4TB of storage and was going to start the ripping process.

One of the things I was concerned about was accurate and complete metadata. For this reason I decided to us the GD3 database from Get Digital Data. I just called to buy the service and found out GD3 does not work with iTunes.

So now I am back to which is the best meta data service to use for iTunes.

Does anybody have advice?

Dave C.

Thanks Chris

Before I start ripping my 1500 CD's I though I would do a test. I just grabbed a couple of CD's to test Gracenote

1. Chet Baker It Could Happen to You, Riverside

2. Mowtown 40 Forever

Both I would consider not obscure but in both cases NO artwork and very limited metadata.

Not expecting a response just thought I would share my my first ripping excersise :(

Dave C.