IGNORED

Curious about Ripping vinyls into Hi res..will it work?

weib

Yes, it will work.

Were you expecting a more detailed answer?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ripping Vinyl takes a lot of research in the planning stage. You don't want to re-rip an album since it's such a slow 1x process. When done decent the results are fabulous. If you want audiophile quality I don't recommend USB turntables. The A to D converter in a USB turntable will not be very good but will make the process very simple I'm sure.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The simplest way to digitise your vinyl is with your (assuming you have one) existing Phono pre-amp. Plug this via RCA to mini-jack into the input of your motherboard sound card (if you use phono amp in an integrated / pre-amp then use the record out sockets). This should be at least as good quality as a USB turntable (I'm assuming you mean the type sold by Ion here in the UK).

Next up would be a pre-amp with a USB port. These are made by (amongst others) NAD at around £70 and Chord Electronics at around £800.

Next up would be an add-on sound card. Both USB (and FireWire) external devices and internal PCI sound cards. These would start around £150 for an EMu PCI card or USB 2.0 device, up though TC Electronics Firewire connected TC Konnekt range, past RME's internal cards and external FireFace devices up into the stratosphere of Metric Halo and Weiss (for examples).

With this final group of devices, you can either connect a suitable cartridge direct to the device's Mic input (you may need a cable with suitable loading) or via a good quality phono pre-amp to a line level input. With the direct connection, either in device or in the computer RIAA correction would then be needed.

So first off you need to decide your budget and what use you'll put the copies to - purely to have a copy for your iPod or for playback through a full blown system.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.