IGNORED

Bryston DAC vs Wyred4Sound DAC2

Thanks to all of you for all the information I have gained in reading this forum. I have not found any mention of a direct comparison between the Bryston DAC and the Wyred4Sound DAC2 in searching the forums. I currently have a PS Audio DLIII and am itching to upgrade. I am currently running a MacMini>M2tech Hiface>DLIII>Modwright pre-amp>Bel Canto M300s>Von Schweikert VR4JRs. If you have compared these two how would you describe the differences in sound? I also have an Oppo BDP-80 used mostly for video but occasionally for audio. I know there are feature differences and the price of a used Bryston is about the price of a new DAC2, but I am mostly interested in the audio quality. Thanks!

"Information is not knowledge,

Knowledge is not wisdom,

Wisdom is not truth,

Truth is not beauty,

Beauty is not love,

Love is not music and

Music is the best" -Frank Zappa

I am kinda wondering the same thing. I have a DL III w/Hiface and thought about doing the stage IV mods from Rick Cullen or getting a Perfect Wave or the DAC2 from W4S. How do the mods stack up to the likes of the Bryston, DAC2, Perfect Wave, etc.?

Didn't mean to jack your thread but I hope we both can get some feedback!

Jeff

I do own a PS Audio Digital Link III with the cullen lvl 4 mods. I recently installed a Halide Bridge on this system, which is my headphone system at work (Ray Samuels Audio Apache amp with balanced HD800s) and found this to be a GREAT Dac, especially with the improved USB. I was using Toslink out of my iMac.

I have recently started using Pure Music with Hog mode via the bridge, and feel that that system, especially with Hi Rez music is hard to beat for my listening preferences, and the fact that I don't want tubes at the office.

Today I received a Wyred4Sound Dac-2 to replace a Lavry Black DA10 here at my home speaker system. After some wrangling with the various settings, I enabled upsampling to 192 (176.4 for redbook) and am pretty blown away, evening though this Dac has a 100 break in period to go yet.

(speaker system is Wyred4Sound STP-SE - Quicksilver MiniMite Monoblocks and Zu Essence speakers)

Sound (vs the Lavry via optical) is significantly more spacious and three dimensional. I have enjoyed the Lavry for several years, it was my first nice DAC. The DAC-2 really improves on it with musicality and air.

Have not heard the Bryston, and I know it is well recommended. I have not been disappointed by the Wyred4Sound crowd now 3 times (my DAC-2, STP-SE and the lvl 4 mods on the PSA DLIII)

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

DL-III, the PerfectWave DAC is definately in another (higher) league.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio