IGNORED

Ayre DX-5: Any takers?

Ok, I know that at $10k, it's insanely expensive, but it combines a digital source with an upgraded version of their awesome DAC. I think that the QB-9 is about $3k and their C-5xeMP player is $6k, so a combo that apparently one-ups both priced at near to that combo price might not be so absurd.

But that's not the point, nor the question.

The question is: has anyone tried one and compared it to the QB-9? Any thoughts?

I thought you were giving one away based on that title line Socrates ... I was about to say yes please!

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I attended an Ayre presentation a few months ago in which the QB-9 and a prototype C-5 were demoed. The QB-9 was initally the center of attention and sounded quite good (Ayre amplification and Wilson speakers). When the switch was made, the C-5 sounded substantially better with richer mids and strong dynamics. Unfortunately, there was no subsequent switch back to the QB-9 to allow a more comprehensive comparison.

As you probably know, the C-5 starts life as an Oppo BP-83. The power supplies are completely replaced as are the audio sections and, of course, it's all in a milled aluminum case. The video section and transport are unchanged. And we all know the price of the BP-83 is $500. I doubt cost of goods was much of a factor in the pricing of the C5.

I understand that the Oppo transport and video was used in the DX-5, and that that's about it. But it does make you wonder about justifying a 2000% increase in price. Let's leave that aside. ;-)

I guess what I'm looking for is a single-box source solution. One that can play Blu-Ray, SACD and whatever else -- and do so in a superlative fashion. AND be a world-class, hi-rez D>A converter for my computer.

Any other comparisons or listening impressions are very welcome.

to be clear. IMO the DX-5 offers good value (no I am not kidding) relative to its competitors (oops, it really has no competitors). It is very important to understand what is inside the box. I live in Boulder, and I have seen the internals during a visit to Ayre HQ. The only parts of the Oppo that are retained are the drive, the drive controller, and the video board (which already offers excellent video performance). The power supplies are all new, including two custom EI style transformers and Ayre's usual attention to details like discrete regulators, the digital filters, DACs, and clocks are all custom proprietary Ayre designs, the I/V conversion is by a discrete Ayre circuit, and the analog output stage is an all discrete design (equal to that of the $18K KXR preamp) using Ayres' stash of discontinued Toshiba JFETS.

There really is nothing else like this product available. If someone wants a single box player, capable of playing all formats (CD, DVD, DVDA, SACD, BRD, and async computer audio up to 24/192, and of course, video) and can afford-it is the only choice for incredible audio/video quality. As a comparison, the QB-9/C-5xeMP combo does not provide video, does not play BRD, and does not produce the same level of audio quality from computer sources.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

But I got impatient. I had requested a demo model but got impatient waiting for one to be available. In the end I bought a Resolution audio Cantata which is not as polyvalent but sounds superb.

Frank

Frank[br]Mac mini, Amarra, Pure vinyl, Resolution Cantata, Metric Halo LIO-8, dCs P8i,DeVialet 800, Goldmund Mim 20/36+/22/29.4, Epilog 1&2[br]Reference Turntable Ortofon Jubilee pickup