IGNORED

New neutral/transparent DAC

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a new DAC. The DAC have to be neutral and transparent. I know that this is also a question of taste and subjective hearing experience. But I mean neutral and transparent technically. I have 3 DACs in mind:

Crane Song Solaris

Dangerous Music - Convert 2

Forssell Technologies MADA-2a

Which one would you prefer and pick up? And why? Maybe you can suggest others.

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

These are basically "pro" audio components... PA grade gear used where robustness, rack mounting and interconnection for  stage production are priorities, sold by

Sweetwater and other like band equipment retailers. Not audiophile grade, where SQ is highest priority vs tear it down and set it up again every day.

Oh, come on! Not that dumb "audiophile" vs "PA" argument. That's not convincing. These are mastering DACs and sound quality is just as important as road capability.

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Maybe a different approach would work since no one here knows about these...

What price range and file formats are you interested in?

Maybe the Mytek. Not more than 3k$. I've only red book flacs and some 24/192 files.

Maybe this is the wrong place for my question.

47 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

you might want to test drive the Yggy

there is one by RME that is also worth considering

I don't know anything about the DACs listed in the OP, but there do seem to be a number of things that high end DAC manfs. do which you could check on.  One recently mentioned was multiple transformers.

Thanks for the tip with the Yggy.

Are you thinking of RME ADI 2 Pro? What's about the Mytek Brooklyn+?

19 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Topping D30.  It tests great and sounds neutral.  Separate power supply eliminates problems with noisy motherboards.  Only $120 and it has the SBAF seal of disapproval.  Check threads at Audio Science Review, Reddit and Head-Fi.

Thanks for the tip. I will have a closer look.

2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Always interesting to see blind prejudice...  if these DAC's are so good, why aren't they appearing at audiophile shows??  Why don't they have any serious reviews? 

Chord, Schiit, Mytek,  you can walk into pretty much any major audio show with CANJAM participation and have a chance to audition with your own headphones or some

of the best headphones on the market. .

Come on! That has nothing to do with what you called blind prejudice. I can say the same about you and your "argument".

Maybe they don't appear at "audiophile shows" because with so called high end one can earn much more money. These are all mastering DACs. And what is used for the production that can not be worse than high end, right? "Audiophile shows" aren't the measure of all things imho. So I ask you, what's your point? Maybe you should have a look beyond your overpriced horizon.

Why don't they have any serious reviews?

Are you serious? Tolle lege ;) The web is full of serious reviews. Maybe too serious for you ;)

I’ve rethink about my list. Added some DACs. Others deleted from the list. I will listen to these ones:

Crane Song Solaris

RME ADI 2 Pro

Benchmark DAC3 DX

Topping D30 -> although the DAC chip (Cirrus CS4398) is pretty old, but was one of the best around 5-10 years ago

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, captainhifi said:

sur it's only pricey DAC but when you want the best ....!!

What makes them better than others? The price? I don't think so. Pricey means not better. Power supply, the implementation of the chips as well as the installed components are crucial. Often only the name pushes the price. So I ask you again. What makes them better than others? And can you prove your statements with meassurements? Listening impressions are subjective and often psychoacoustically influenced. 

42 minutes ago, captainhifi said:

not price of course but quality of building, component they use.....

That's what I've said. Nothing else. But quality of building and components doesn't have to cost 20k$ or more. That's imho bullsh*t. In this case only the name pushes the price ;)

all DAC have same measurments, or really near and all DAC sound different, so only listening can do differences.

Sorry, but that's not right. All DACs have different level of noise, distortion, linearity, and jitter. It depends on power supply, the implementation of the chips as well as the installed components. That is what has impact on the sound and listening. Subjective listening differences may be added.

For me, music is to feel emotion and not buy perfect  measurement so you have to listen for it.

Bad measurements mean bad listening experience ;)

i can read  technical informations between the 2 devices like everybody

I don't read technical informations ;) I do measurements by myself!