IGNORED

Article: Live Rock For The Audiophile

Glad you enjoyed the shows but I am done with it. I used to love to go to concerts. My first was Led Zeppelin in 1970 and have been to too many since to count. The real Dead a few times, Led Zeppelin twice, Yes, Steve Miller, David Bowie, Kansas, Bob Seger, the real Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan, America, Seals and Croft, Kenny Loggins, Dave Mason, and probably 30 others, 

My recent experiences though have made me rethink the whole thing and I doubt I will ever go again. Why? Deaf sound engineers who turn up the volume so loud it makes your ears ring and distorts the sound so much it is basically unlistenable. I recently saw Tedeschi Trucks (who I love) in a great hall but left halfway through because it was ear bleeding loud. I saw John Hiatt at the Ryman and it was so loud and distorted you couldn't understand any of what he sang or said. The worst was an "acoustic evening" with John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett. At the same venue as Tedeschi Trucks where our local symphony plays, it was the 2 of them on stage sitting and playing acoustic guitars. They could have played un-amplified and filled the hall with sound, but again, they were miked and it was so loud and distorted you couldn't understand what they were saying. I could go on. The only recent exception was when I saw Glenn Campbell on his farewell tour at the Ryman and the sound was excellent. I hate to be Debbie Downer, and I used to say "if it is too loud you are too old" and maybe I am, but I will no longer spend the kind of money they charge these days for a garbled mess.

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

21 hours ago, jabbr said:

Let me reemphasize — get as close to front and center of the stage — it’s NOT louder, you avoid the huge speaker arrays and the sound is much cleaner. When you are off to the side or much farther back the sound is both louder and garbled!

For all the shows I mentioned we were in the first few rows. Relatively small venues, concert halls maybe 1500 seats, and it was ear bleeding loud. I got up and walked around the hall and went up to the balcony. Everywhere I went it was ear bleeding loud. It's not a case of where you can get in between the banks of speakers like at an outdoor venue. 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768