IGNORED

Advice Please...

Truly appreciate anyone kind enough to offer some advice.

I'm thinking of purchasing this super cheap HP netbook and loading it will all my music via iTunes and apple lossless. Then connecting this netbook to my hifi via USB and my benchmark DAC1.

I have a fairly nice hifi with Bryston and Dynaudio. This would be my new source and replace CDs. This netbook would just sit in my audio rack.

Will this work? Do I need a totally different type of laptop? What are the pro/cons? Need to stick with Microsoft over Apple for OS.

Thanks. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00318CGFK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=17EFH7CPM8RFZKX4C5H5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

CAPS => Wyred4Sound DAC2dsdSE w\femto => PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp => Wyred4Sound ST1000 mk II => PMC IB2S

JRiver & JRemote.

Chord Company speaker and IC cables

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks

You may want to experiment with J.River Media Center or Foobar 2000 or Media Monkey - which can work with Exclusive Mode WASAPI (or Kernel Streaming or with ASIO / ASIO4All) - in preference to your suggestion of iTunes. I assume you are thinking of Apple Lossless as the HDD space on the NetBook will be limited - there is a marginal sound quality advantage of using WAV or AIFF in preference but I don't think for most people this is a noticeable difference. If you choose one of the alternative players then using FLAC would be more appropriate. Also being a Windows PC you should use dbPowerAmp or EAC to rip your CDs.

Generally your plan sounds solid - it's something I've considered myself.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, apple lossless. I figure I can get 500 CDs or so on there. That's great for now.

CAPS => Wyred4Sound DAC2dsdSE w\femto => PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp => Wyred4Sound ST1000 mk II => PMC IB2S

JRiver & JRemote.

Chord Company speaker and IC cables

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks