IGNORED

Chords New M -Scaler

On 3/20/2019 at 6:06 AM, barrows said:

Bingo!  I suspect the above is correct.  The Ayre DAC runs proprietary oversampling in an FPGA at a 16x rate, and if one inputs 176.5/192 kHz into the Ayre it will still apply its own oversampling to get the rest of the way to 705.6 and 768 kHz.  

Yes - I agree this is most likely what is going on. Waiting for my HMS to arrive to pair with my Holo Spring II for this very reason. I can switch between OS and NOS mode to test this theory. Then once my TT2 comes I will throw that into the mix as well.

18 hours ago, Miska said:

Spring's OS (AKM chip) is not so much to compare against... It is best running in NOS mode with external digital filter and modulator. If you lack capability of running good external digital filter and modulator, then it is certainly better than nothing.

It was never my belief that OS mode on the Spring would sound better than the HMS into the Spring in NOS mode. I listen almost exclusively in NOS mode on the Spring and ordered the HMS for the TT2 - I just plan to play around a bit when it all arrives...

Thanks for all the info about the Spring, btw. Right now the only software upsampling I can do is either with ROON DSP or A+'s iZototpe 64-bit SRC. I currently do not have HQPlayer so I don't think I have the bit rate setting and noise shaping capabilities you mention. I actually find the Audirvana upsampling to sound quite good going into the Spring in NOS mode. And I prefer Roon DSP upsampling into the Spring in NOS mode to straight redbook in either NOS or OS...

• 2 weeks later...

Great to get this feedback from the front lines as I await my HMS and TT2 combo as well. Thank you. Could you perhaps describe in a little more detail what the Shunyata brought to the table, besides "minutiae" (which I assume means detail retrieval?)? What is the "goodness" you are hearing, if you don't mind sharing? It would be very helpful to me personally as I contemplate which BNC cables to get for my combo. Cheers (Also has your dealer given you a firm date for the TT2 to arrive?)

3 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

First off, no firm date yet on the TT2.  Apparently Chord has still not fulfilled some orders placed in Nov/Dec.

Oi.

3 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I'll respond to your question about the Shunyata products later.

Thanks . Much appreciated.