IGNORED

Could use software advice.

SidHo

This site is really helping me negotiate the confusing maze of getting my first music server sounding as good as possible.

I have been using VLC on a new mini going to a Cambridge Audio DAC. Volume is controlled through my pre amp leaving vlc at 100% volume ( hoping Im getting bit perfect output). I like the VLC remote cuz I can easily choose any file off my Iphone or iPad with out having to turn on the LCD tv.

I've been reading a lot of good feed back about Pure Music's sound quality and would certainly be interested in switching. My questions on this are...

Is the general consensus that pure music shows noticeable improvement in sound output?

Seeing as flac files can be imported iTunes using ogg, does pure music play flac files and if so are there any special issues or problems with pure music or iTunes when using flac?

It seems that the iPhone remote options for pure music are not as developed as for vlc (I hope I'm wrong) - what iPhone and iPad remotes would you recommend if any?

If pure music can't work with flac are there any other quality software options out there you would recommend? (except for the Amarra option - I'm sure it's great I just have a hard time justifying $500 or so for this type of program, my wife would kill me)

Just a thought but I just switched over to Mac from a life time of windows and I'm surprise there seems to be so many fewer choices in this area for Mac as opposed to windows...

Any way thanks all, this has become my number one destination on the web when I have some down time.

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner

May I suggest using your new mini with iTunes (or other free player) at first with no tweaks, just to get an appreciation for what a baseline might be.

I'm only a couple of months ahead of you. I am still at that stage. I just started to test trial versions of some of these software enhancements. I haven't yet convinced myself of anything. The demo version of Pure Music is quite generous.

My approach to payware with a demo is this. Use it until the demo period expires. If you find yourself missing it, or tricking it into letting you extend the demo period, you probably should buy it. If you don't miss it, you at least have the comfort of the knowledge that you gave it a try.

I don't know much of anything about VLC, but I suspect it doesn't use Apple's core audio framework, in which case you are shooting yourself in the foot.

I've played flac through Play.app and Songbird.app, but ultimately wind up converting it to Apple Lossless and using iTunes. (I keep the flac files.) iTunes is probably my least favorite piece of OS X software, but I still use it. It is basically fine as a baseline. It outputs "bit perfect" if you turn off the equalizer and junk like that.

Thankyou both for your common sense replies. They were both helpful.

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner

Thx wgscott

I'd be interested in knowing what "links to the core audio framework" means and what isnthe importance of that?

Sorry, again. (I almost sound British).

It means when the program was compiled, it uses the resources contained in Apple's audio libraries by loading them in dynamically when the program opens. You can see this using the following command:

otool -L VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC | grep -i CoreAudio

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

That's a GOOD THING, and I should have looked before voicing suspicion that it didn't do that.

Briefly, it means if an OS X update fixes some bug in Apple's audio, your version of VLC will be able to make use of that fix immediately. But on a more mundane level, it means it interacts with the OS X audio framework properly.

• 5 months later...

If you are using a Mac-Mini why not try using iTunes instead of VLC? As your library increases you will find the iTunes interface very easy to use.

Plus the new "airtunes" system means, for example, you can stream music off your iPhone or iPad directly to your MacMini and on through your speakers...

As already recommended to you: MAX is a great convertor. Personally, I use it to convert FLACS to Apple Lossless. [All my tracks are in Apple Lossless...]

I notice you have a high-end Linn set up. You may find your Cambridge Audio DAC to be the "weak link". I auditioned it a while back: it's ok but I found the sound a little bit too "processed" and flat, and I ended up getting the Stello DA100 Signature. Benchmark do a great DAC too. [both are comprehensively reviewed on this website in the "Equipment" section]. Arcam have just bought a new one out - and it looks likes it's a visual match for the Mac Mini...

As far as Pure Audio are concerned: you can download a demo version for free from their website. I tried it out, but the sound was not to my taste. It just seemed like a graphic equaliser in disguise. [but many people love it...]

Also, play around with the connection between your Mac Mini and your DAC. For example, my system sounds a lot better via Optical Toslink than it does via USB [as between my MacBook Pro and my DAC].

MacBook Pro/ via optical into/ Stello DA100 Signature/ Linn Kairn/ 2xLK140/ Linn Ninka [Activ]

Thanks for the follow up iansen.

Since July my favorite player has become ayrewave. I havnt listened to pure audio or amarra cuz they interface with iTunes. I was going to bite the bullet and go that way but when AW came out it made me too happy to bother looking for an alternative. I use musiccollector database on my iPad to sort through my music to decide what I want to listen to because it has a nice GUI which I prefer to iTunes.

I was thinking of a new DAC as I do agree with what I have being the weak link, although I have to say the DacMagic sounds way better than the Genki CD player which is no slouch. It seems music files are intrinsically a better way to play than CD's. It's all part of the audiophiles affliction though. Your always trying to get to the next level. I'll check out the DAC's you mentioned... I think my marriage would with stand another box on my stereo stand.