IGNORED

sorting tracks in iTunes

rayhil

I know I've seen an answer to this elsewhere on the site, but I can't seem to locate it.

When ripping in iTunes, the tracks are sometimes listed out of their CD order in the ripped version of the disc. How do I resort them to have and keep them in the right order.

Thanks.

MBP13-128gb ssd using VoiceOver to hear the screen, iTunes, Ayre QB-9, McIntosh mx119 & mc207, Thiel CS2.4

First, I believe you must give them the same Album name. (Alternatively, you can give them different Album names if you give them the same Sort Album name.)

Second, there are at least 3 ways to set the sort order:

(a) Give them consecutive track numbers.

(b) Give them consecutive numbers as the Sort Name.

© Add a number prefix to the Name.

In methods (b) and ©, the numbers are treated as text, so 10 tracks will be sorted as 1, 10, 2 unless you precede numbers 1-9 with a zero.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Thanks Bob, this led me to a result that works but which isn't particularly pretty.

It appears that the sort the iTunes uses within a disc of the same album name is a sort by artist. thus, for example, if an album has the following track and artist:

1 Ray

2 Bob

3 John

the order will be 2,3,1

Even with the tracks correctly numbered, it appears to re-sort by artist. Is there a way to have it instead sort by track. I couldn't find it under the sorting tab.

I did figure out (using Bob's idea) that putting the track numbers before each artist on the disc, it would sort properly.

Any better suggestions?

BTW Bob, how do you like your Thiel 3.7s? I have 2.4s and keep thinking about trading up, but not sure it's worth that much $$$.

MBP13-128gb ssd using VoiceOver to hear the screen, iTunes, Ayre QB-9, McIntosh mx119 & mc207, Thiel CS2.4

• 5 months later...

You can add the " track number" column to the display and then sort on that column.

iPad2 + RemoteApp/VNC Viewer --> Headless Mac Mini --> iTunes * ALAC --> cheap USB cable WireWorld Ultraviolet USB cable --> Musical Fidelity V-LINK --> SonicWave Toslink --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC --> $.97 (RadioShack clearance) Monster THX Digital Coax --> AIWA NSX-3300 --> Polk RTi4\'s --> Cheapskate Listening Enjoyment[br]