IGNORED

windows 7 network configuration

I've learned a lot reading CA for the last several months and have a pretty good system up and running.

I am using a windows 7 computer as a server. I control it remotely with a laptop and remote desktop. I have the computer connected directly to a DAC and stereo components for higher quality playback. But during parties I do multi room playback with iTunes and multiple airport expresses.

Generally, works well. Problem is occasionally windows 7 and running services may start doing something on their own. For example, the antivirus might decide to update itself or something like that. This can create some small gaps in playback. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice if this didn't happen. (This doesn't seem to be a problem when running local speakers only -- i.e. from u.s.b. --> DAC --> amp --> speakers. Just happens when running 2 or 3 airport expresses's at a time and the wifi connections get crowded.)

Ideas on addressing this? Ways to configure Windows 7 network to make computer local only when used as playback (still visible for remote desktop but otherwise not connected to internet), but restorable to full functionality to download content, program updates etc when not in playback mode?

on getting more than one airport express working, I can't get any to work, due to drop outs that eludes many.

If you say local operation is smooth, then it's the Airport Express that I would point the finger at.

Perhaps a logitech touch solution would be a bit more robust. J River media player takes advantage of Intel technology by piping different music to different zones, from the same source, which could be of interest to you, not necessarily the neighbours....

Does the Airport express run hot to touch? I thought they would be a great heater to keep out moisture, and if they worked, pipe audio around the house at the same time.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hello One and a half

airport express worked as advertised out of the box. just ran the setup program. no drama. they do not run hot.

I'm using all windows 7 machines with intel processors and manufacturer provided equipment. Linksys dual band router.

One oddity. I bought the dual band router planning to run the airport expresses on the "media" band of the router reserving normal computer traffic to the main band. Didn't work. The AE's were unstable and dropped a lot on the media band. Work fine on the main band.