IGNORED

USB External Drives

Hi, This is my first thread to this great forum!

I'm very new to the computer-audio world & hope my question is not too basic to this forum.

I have ripped cd files(AIFF) on my Mac laptop, and wish to copy them to an usb external drive, maybe a WD or Seagate.

Can I run this external drive on its own? The drive will be cabled to a USB converter, which will be connected to my CA 840cdp's DAC.

If yes, will it offer me improvement in sound, as opposed to connecting the laptop >> converter >> DAC?

Cheers

Mark

You can't just run a simple hard drive! You need a computer in there somewhere to connect it to. Also, the USB converter should not be connected to the hard drive; it is connected to the computer. And yes, running your music on an external drive vs the laptop's internal drive is usually of some sonic benefit because you are getting the music away from the noise and radiation interferences of the laptop/computer itself...but ultmately your connection is still laptop (with external drive) >> converter >> DAC.

As Ted commented, you can't go direct from USB drive to a DAC.

You have a few options

1) Use your laptop between the drive and a USB-SPDIF converter - i.e. path would be USB Drive --USB--> MacBook --USB--> Converter --SPDIF--> DAC

2) Get a MacMini to replace the MacBook, run it headless and control it via MacBook (screen sharing) and/or using iPod Touch running the remote software. Same signal path as above.

3) Buy / Build a C.A.P.S. type device. Again control via MacBook or iPod Touch, etc. Can either use a USB-SPDIF converter as in options 1 and 2, or could install a card such as ESI Juli@ or Asus Xonar card to provide a good SPDIF output.

4) Get a Squeezebox Touch to connect to your DAC, run the Squeezecenter software on your laptop. You could run the USB drive directly into the Squeezebox Touch but this seams to not work so well acording to many reports.

5) Replace your USB drive with a Network Attached drive running the Squeezecenter software, either custom NAS hardware or a simple (old or low powered Atom type) PC with the software (you may find the VortexBox Linuyx install of interest), and follow option 4 above. This will allow music to be available at any time not just when you have your laptop plugged in.

Hope one of these options helps you.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Take it from , a real savvy user. You should use FLAC files as your music. Since you have a Mac, hook up a portabable Bus powered FIREWIRE drive. Use play as your front end application, not Itunes.

Enjoy

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.