IGNORED

Addons, i.e. regen, reclock, isolate - are they needed?

On 7/3/2018 at 7:19 PM, creativepart said:

I listen to vinyl about 50% of the time and digital from my computer (iMac 27") 50% of the time. For something like 8 years I've used a Benchmark Dac1 USB for all my digital listening. Probably 10 years ago I took all my CDs and using iTunes made ALAC copies of them - 720 in all. I've stored the CDs in the attic and listen to them from the computer. I use Audirvana Pro for my software.

I like Tidal, especially Masters with MQA (don't start please). Recently, to try something new I bought a Meridian Explorer2 and then replaced that with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Dac. I like the Pre Box better than the Exp2 but I'm not sure yet about it being as good or better than the Benchmark.

snip

In my experience the Regen/Jitterbug add-ons did absolutely nothing.  That was with either an Arcam SuperDAC FMJ D33 (comparable to your Benchmark I would think) and now with a Bryston BDA-2.  

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those types of devices but would guess they have a greater chance of making an improvement with "budget" hardware that may not have all of the design elements and engineering that a more expensive unit should.