IGNORED

Please share your Sonos Setups, etc.

Hello all. Long time lurker.

Some quick background:

Moving in to a new house soon, and am designing a whole house music distribution setup. Trying to minimize the amount of wiring we'd need to do, as the walls are all finished.

Planning to have decentralized components. I have a Peachtree Nova and two Peachtree Deccos. I also have Rotel amp, pre and speaker selector that I may or may not leverage. I also have a Keces DAC that I feed from my MacPro to some NHT powered speakers in my office. I would use the Peachtree integrateds in the primary listening areas of the house (family room, master bedroom, etc.)

Besides the primary listening areas, I also have a few areas that I'd like music - not for active listening - that would not have dedicated amps.

I have just purchased a DroboFS - mainly as a backup NAS for our various macs around the house, but also to hold my music collection.

Considering using a dedicated mac mini as a music server.

Our primary source for music will be the music server, plus Pandora and some internet radio stations.

There is Cat5 throughout the house.

So. I am planning to use a Sonos setup to distribute music to these primary listening areas. I would do this with ZP90's attached to the Peachtree's. For the non-primary listening areas, I am considering using the ZP120's with their integrated amps. I will consider using a modified ZP90 in the most critical listening area.

I like the idea of using the Sonos to control and coordinate the various zones in the house.

Here are the questions:

1. Does all the above make sense?

2. How do I best leverage the DroboFS with the Sonos setup?

3. (Newbie question) With the Sonos/Drobo setup, what role does the Mac mini play? Do I need a dedicated mac to act as a music server?

4. Can you share any "best practices" for using a Sonos system in a computer audiophile environment?

I realize there's alot here to digest - I'm just looking for some sanity checks. As I talk to audio/video installers in my new city (Dallas), I have yet to find someone who has a good grasp on all these issues.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

1) Yes you make sence ... Sonos fed via DAC in Peachtree for the critical areas, Sonos with integrated amplifier for the non-critical.

2) IIRC the Sonos connects to a music share. You should be able to set this up on the Drobo.

3) I can't see any point in a dedicated Mac Mini with the Sonos / Drobo setup. The only point would be if you want to use Mac Mini with iTunes & Amarra or PureMusic and a good DAC into a primary listening area.

4) Sorry don't actually use Sonos myself. Generally: probably worth downloading the Sonos app onto any iPod Touch / iPhone you have. Where possible install network cabling rather than relying on Wireless network. Spend some time working out how to best rip your music from CD before you begin - you don't want to have to do it again.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

Hello Gruffster

Read your post and so much of it chimed that I thought I'd register and post.

I've just moved to a fully digital flac service based on Sonos. Took me a while to decide to take the plunge, but in the end it was easy and the results are pretty spectacular.

Key success factors for me were the simplicity of Sonos and the capability of modern OS' for moving media files around.

My setup:

Stock PC tower with Windows Home Server (hidden in another room)

Sonos Z90, Cambridge DACMagic, Musical Fidelity Pre Amp/Chord power/B&W802D. Musical Fidelity CD player (rotting in the corner now).

I'm convinced the FLAC/digital route sounds better than the CD player.

Top tips:

1) Wire up all your devices - CAT5 is fine, wireless probably isn't.

2) I'd endorse the view about being careful how you rip. I've used dBPowerAmp to uncompressed FLAC and a subscription to a metadata service. They also provide an excellent batch converter to MP3 for the IPOD and car.

3) Separate DAC seemed to make a difference, even a fairly budget one. Don't forget to run the Sonos in fixed output mode.

4) Windows home server is appealing because it's easy to upgrade discs and it backs up your stuff. It's cheap too and easy to setup.

5) I run the Sonos control software on my Iphone and on my PC. They work really well together. I've even ditched my tuner because Sonos streams radio.

When I heard that Linn were planning to abandon CD players and other sources, I was sceptical, but having made the move myself, I can see why. Being able to random play your entire catalogue allows you to rediscover old gems. And no piles of CDs lying around which keeps my wife happy!

Cheers. Good luck

John