IGNORED

bought new ps audio pwd. now need attenuation solution

after a great demo with 2 dealers (one in belgium and one in holland) i decided to buy a ps audio perfect wave dac (pwd). it is a great dac with very open sound.

the demos included the naim dac, the linn akkurate ds, the ps adio pwd and the ayre qb-9.

listened both times for about 4 hours comparing.

the difficult choice was between the ayre and the ps audio.

i used the dacs in the demo with a preamp. the ayre and pwd were very very close. at the end i think the ayre was a little bit better. specially with men's voices. But when i connected the ps audio directly balanced into the power amp (it has 32 bit digital volume control) the difference was huge. so the bottleneck was my preamp (a classe audio ssp-300 used on the analog inputs with no digital processing of any kind). this is a good preamp but as the ps audio manual quotes 'there is no better preamp then no preamp'.

now i am waiting for the bridge. that will make the ps audio dac a music server. it is upnp / dlna compatible, so i will only need a usb disk connected to my router (or a nas or pc or whatever) to play music over ethernet with the bridge. the bridge has the same digital lens as the pwt (perfect wave transport). i listened to the bridge when paul mcgowan (ceo ps audio) was here in belgium 2 weeks ago and also used the ipad application to control it.

i have only one problem.

when i connect my ps audio directly into my power amp (classe audio ca-5100) i can use the volume setting between 10% - 35%. above 35% it is to loud. but with a 32 bit digital volume i think i am going to loose quality when the volume is lower then 50%, right?

is there a good solution, without loosing audio quality to bring down the volume. read about the rothwell attenuators, but with different results. most people say the soundstage is still open, but the detail is gone.

please some advise.

freek

I don't think you can avoid a preamp. I would try a passive one as it seems you have gain to spare. They are basically attenuators anyways, but more attention has been put into making them hifi.

The real question is whether or not the PWD sounds better than your preamp even if it is chopping bits.

you are right.

the volume is 24 bit. sorry for the mistake.

that makes attenuation even more needed to keep the high resolution.

with the endler stepped attenuators i could use the volume 70% - 100%.

i hope somebody can advise me if they are any good.

• 1 month later...

I have used the Scott Endler XLR attenuators with very good results. Used them on my high end system - Levinson amps with Von Schweikert VR7 speakers. They worked perfectly for me.

.....Frank

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

I have a Bel Canto DAC 3 feeding direct into my monoblocks and faced a similar problem. Fortunately my power amp (bridged Alner-Hamblin SA400s) has the capability to vary the input level, and as I had been dealing direct with the company (based in Bristol UK) I had them make the change.

You may not have access to this feature your Classe amp so I'd suggest a passive preamp as the most transparent alternative: for many years prior to buying a DAC with a digital volume control I used an Audio Synthesis Passion preamp between my CD transport and power amp. See:

http://www.audiosynthesis.co.uk/passion_ultimate.htm

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Although there may be a theoretical loss of information when using the DAC's volume control at less than 50%, PS Audio's advice is that such loss is likely to be less than that caused by any "solution", including by the insertion of a pre-amp. Having tried Rothwell RCA attenuators between my Perfect Wave DAC and my Musical Fidelity power amp., I definitely prefer the sound without the attenuators. I would also add that the unattenuated sound is so good, I don't feel inclined to experiment further.

i bought the endler stepped attenuators.

he advised me to use the 12 step 4k versions with my amp.

it is much better now then without the attenuators.

much more detail and better bass performance.

and no more worry about the volume accidentally reaching 100%.

regards,

Freek