IGNORED

NAS for multiple uses - help please

I’m trying to decide on the best NAS solution for both my Mac-based music collection and my wife’s PC-based photos plus sundry other home computer files. Neither of us are techies and I’d rather not spend my life learning about how to setup and manage my NAS. My sense right now is that I’d like to use the NAS for primary music access so that I can convert my OWC USB drive that currently houses my ITunes library and files into my music backup, which would allow removal of the slightly audible OWC from my listening room and access to the NAS over an Ethernet cable. For the photos side, I’d like something relatively automatic (as I can’t get her to believe in backups). I’ve read the threads on this cite plus Chris’s Thecus review (but that sounds like it requires more expertise than we have). I’m basically looking at the price/simplicity/size tradeoffs.

I’m considering two alternatives:

Iomega Storcenter IX2-200 (2TB $259 or 4TB $535) [which looks like a big price jump for the extra 2TB]or

Drobo FS $700 without drives and about $400 for 4 drives maybe WD Caviar 1TB or 1.5TB (about $1,100 total)

I’d appreciate folks views on the following:

1. Ease of installation;

2. Ease of use;

3. Product quality;

4. Use with both PC and Mac;

5. Actual storage capacity from the units;

6. Other opinions.

Thanks for any information that this great group can provide.

MBP13-128gb ssd using VoiceOver to hear the screen, iTunes, Ayre QB-9, McIntosh mx119 & mc207, Thiel CS2.4

Hi rayhill - NAS drives are really nice, I think you'll be very happy with this move. So far I've yet to see anything as easy as a Drobo.

1. Ease of installation; - Drobo has very easy software tools for this.

2. Ease of use; - Once any NAS is configured ease of use is nearly identical on all.

3. Product quality; - Drobo, Thecus, QNAP, and Synology are all good quality

4. Use with both PC and Mac; - Nearly all NAS drives work both ways now.

5. Actual storage capacity from the units; Most NAS drives all you to pop in new larger drives one at a time to expand capacity if all the drive slots are full. Drobo will take advantage of mismatched drive sizes probably better than the others.

6. Other opinions. Take a look at Synology NAS drives. I'm reviewing the DS710+ right now and so far so good. This is a two drive unit that can expand up to seven drives via a Synology add on unit.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, having played around a bit in researching, the 710 looks great but a bit more than I think I need. Does anyone have experience on the 410 or 410J Synology units or their comparison with Drobo.

I'm reading Chris's silence on Iomega as a bit of a negative compared to his favorite Thecus, Drobo and Synology.

MBP13-128gb ssd using VoiceOver to hear the screen, iTunes, Ayre QB-9, McIntosh mx119 & mc207, Thiel CS2.4

• 4 weeks later...