IGNORED

High powered integrated amp recommendations

2 hours ago, MetalNuts said:

Gryphon's Diablo 300 which gives you 300W at 8 ohm.  This is my previous Integrated amp to drive Magico S1 MK2.  Powerful, yet detail and musical and there is not much choice with such juice at such price range.

Yes, Gryphon Diablo 300 would be my choice too for an integrated amp, if affordable.

Mephisto/Pandora is ...well, not integrated but diabolically divine.

Your Avatar sucks.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

50 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Thanks for a lot of great options.  I have divided them up into classes.

Gryphon looks to be something special 950 watts into 2 ohms.  16k retail.  

Pass INT 250: I am familiar with the Pass gear and from the description posted sounds like a typically great Pass unit.  

Accuphase 470: Rated at 180 into 8 ohms and 260 into 4 ohms, so I am not sure how it compares to the others on the list that double down.  Priced similarly to the Pass.  Offers more flexibility and less back breaking.

Modwright and Coda look similar and are priced closely at retail 5K and 6K respectively.  Either one looks like a great "economy" option.  

Gryphon are expensive but appear to be in a class of their own IMO. I also like the Pass Gear very much. Having auditioned various models of each brand and owning them, I prefer the Gryphons for their ultimate neutrality and transparency to my ear. They are also incredibly fast, articulate, assert great authority over bass woofers, realistically define detail and soundstage. Pass , for me, have a little too much mid range warmth which is initially seductive. I hate, hate, hate 'digital glare' and grain, that hardness, edge and brightness in the upper mids and lower treble. Neither of these amps have that and that alone for me justifies their expense. I am aware that others' experience is that all of the same can be achieved for a fraction of the price (with or without tweaking) and all power to them, just not my experience.

50 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Would love to have a Gryphon, Accuphase/Pass, Modwright/Coda shootout.

You owe it to yourself to seriously audition any component before buying especially in this price range, preferably in your own home if at all possible. I know the latter may not always be possible but some dealers still do this.Some charge a handling fee which is fair enough IMO.

Sound Minds Mind Sound