IGNORED

High quality power supplies for single board computers

I recommend Paul Hynes SR4, an excellent PSU for the price which uses much of the technology of his SR7 and I didn't have to wait long for delivery. I have 2 which I use for SBCs.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

7 hours ago, nbpf said:

Thanks tapatrick! Have you noticed any improvements against other PSUs when powering your SBCs with the SR4s?  

I haven't specifically compared different PSUs running SBCs but I had run dual in series LT3045 voltage regulators after a modified Teradak DC30 and also a LPS1which improved sound significantly. When I got the SR4 I found I did not need the LT3045s afterwards as they did not make any further improvement which convinced me of its quality.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 5/11/2018 at 4:36 AM, barrows said:

...But, I would caution folks to understand that one is never going to get the best performance for audio by using the commercial computer gears suggested here.  Even with an ultra low noise pre-regulated supply, these boards are going to have noisy DC/DC switching regulators onboard, so they are going to make a lot of noise on the board....

On 5/11/2018 at 3:27 PM, rikhav said:

Do laptops have same noisy dc/dc converters ?

If yes then what would kind of computer would be best for audio for someone who can't spend big bucks on music servers or likes of it 

Sorry for sidetracking the main topic of the thread :) but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.... It's true using a SBC like a Rpi or a Sparky on its own, even with low noise power inputs will not result in a high quality sound BUT I have been working on a Sparky Roon Ready I2s streamer chain for a few months and just got it all working together today after many hiccups. The results are no less that stunning and I am not exaggerating. This set up could also be used as a source but I currently run it as a streamer fed by my Music server running Roon core.

I wanted to make use of the I2s input on my PS Audio Junior DAC as I believe it is the best input. It's taken a lot of trial and error and I highly recommend checking out the build and components as it is VERY good value for the end result.

My new streamer chain is: Sparky Roon end point (network connected running customised Dietpi software with Roon bridge on a 4 GB micro card) I2S outputs connected to Ian Canadas McFifo Isolator board, then connected to his McDualXO reclocking board with upgraded Crystek CCHD-957-25-45.1584 & CCHD-957-25-49.152 clocks, then to an Audio gd HDMI module to I2S input on my PS Audio Junior DAC. It's all fed by LifePo4 batteries, LT3045s and SR4 power supplies. Everything is running superbly and sound is stunning even though all the inputs of the Junior DAC are excellent this takes it to another level with a detailed, sweet, ultra smooth, rich and harmonious sound.

I shared the journey here but there wasn't a lot of interest, what can you do..:)