IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

On 5/23/2018 at 10:26 PM, sligolad said:

Will be exciting if this SD Card player beats my audio PC here at home when i get it soldered up with reclocker and power supplies.

Sorry for the long diversion but anyway the thread seems to have moved away from cheap POE setup to networking and more expensive connectors!!

I have been checking on that thread occasionally to see whats developing. You got to hand it to the folks there with their endless experimenting and discoveries. Sounds intriguing that a cheap SD card player can outdo your audio server.. and I keep meaning to order one for the fun but have too many other pots cooking.

Thanks for the report @sligolad

.. sorry bit off topic.. :)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Nice experiment @bit01! I did’nt see that coming! A great example what a community effort can bring to the table. So this suddenly seems like the capacitive coupling to the DC plugs (and perhaps EMI at the bare wire ends) is very important to these eyes! ?

I might just try the ferrite tape on the plug ends that I have been thinking about using for a long time on my ethernet (RJ45) and USB plugs.

Yes this is great community effort! I use this copper foil tape everywhere to deal with any lingering worries about exposed cable ends and plugs picking up EMI etc. Works a treat along with PTFE electric tape to make sure there is nothing exposed to short circuits...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016Y58TX4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 5/28/2018 at 7:45 PM, rb2013 said:

I agree - the passive type of PoE injector is not the magic - but does allow for quick cable changes.  I've also had success in my office system using this Ethernet block connector and combining different cables.  Didn't have as much success in the main system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rj45-adapter-ethernet-extension-lan-cable-cat7-6-5e-socket-female-8p8c-connector/282900310703?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=582516111260&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I think wushuliu was on to something with his post here on the differing gauges and twist tightness.  Smaller the gauge the tighter the twist possible.  The UGREEN uses only 26awg OFC and it's one of my favorite cables.

But what originally lead me to even try this - came from a post on Amir's ASR review of the LPS-1 and Alex's reply quoting JS regarding low impedance leakage blocking.  That Ethernet had this implicit in it's design.  The use of passive PoE injectors was just a design test to see if the CAT cable would even work.  And BOY did they ever!  But without the PoE Active low impedance leakage blocking!  

Alex's post (#112) on Amir's ASR review of the LPS-1 thread quoting John Swenson on Ethernet suppression of low impedance leakage - what the LPS-1/1.2 do.

Here's the link and quote:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-lps-1-linear-power-supply-review-and-measurements.1849/

So going back to this original idea of getting a LPS-1/1.2 type of low impedance leakage blocking  - in a active or semi-active PoE DC chain - would that provide even greater SQ benefits?  Surplant the purpose of the LPS1/1.2?  Use just an el-cheapo R-core LPS, a few LT3045s' with this now active PoE DC in between.

There are issues of DC to DC converter noise - the transformers on Ethernet's data lines do not work for PoE.  But that noise would be dealt with by a couple of in series LT3045's with their massive wide, high and ultra high freq PSRR.

This has not been explored yet here - but I have been running all kinds of experiments with fantastic promise!

Thanks Rob for explaining your detective work and how you came to discover the PoEs. I had followed some of this on and off but hadn't understood how you joined the dots. I got the UGreens and have been very impressed with the improvements. Now like others I am cutting off the ethernet plugs and joining 2 of the  pairs for + and 2 for -, then soldering to terminal plugs. Who would have guessed in 2018 this would have been the next major audio discovery!

Cheers :) 

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Great to see you around here Patrick! Thanks for the link. Not possible to order from Sweden, but I know where to find similar. Electrokit.com rules! ?

Thanks Micael!

I try to keep an eye on developments when I can, also on your thread :) ... Looks like you are having fun!

44 minutes ago, rb2013 said:

I may have to don the tweeker hat this weekend and cut open a few of those PoE injectors.

The UGREEN is unique in that it uses a smaller gauge OFC copper wire.  Smaller gauge allows for a tighter twist.  The shielding is no where near the Amazon Basic or the Supra CAT 8.  But I really don't think shielding is the magic sauce.

Boy you got that right - what an unexpected way to get better SQ!  I don't know about others - but in my system the improvement with adding the PoE DC has been fairly substantial - not incremental.

We just need some clever audio company to make a really high quality PoE injector using all the pairs for power...Ghent Audio are you listening?

Cheers Friend!

Well I owe you for your ongoing sharing of your discoveries!.. Good to see you here.

My system is not the same as yours (and some things I haven't agreed with you like streaming for instance, which for me is magic,. I think streaming setups in different locations/countries/cabling and powering is another territory to be  explored). BUT what I've picked up from you, the LT304s, these PoEs, the modded teradak DC30, etc has been very much appreciated.  

When I think about how much each of us partaking, sharing and reading these forums, then spending our hard earned cash building each of our systems, tweaking, isolating, grounding, clean powering, working through the frustrations and successes, testing and trying - looking for the holy grail, cooking and nurturing our tastes and our equipment, listening then restlessly looking for that which we haven't found yet like crazy people..

THEN it all comes together and the music rises in the room like magic, floating from the speakers, 3D and immersive in the sweet music that moves us. Then its worth it all. I thank you for your contribution to my and many others enjoyment which hasn't meant spending $1000s. I don't know what this PoEs can be doing, its a real mystery and beyond my knowledge level, but they somehow along with all the other things I have done and worked on optimising - they add a secret sauce to my system that nudges the music experinece into bliss.

Not sure they would necessarily work this way for everyone on their own but over the past year or so we are getting close, through good folks like you to finding out some key yet simple facts that when put together FOR A FEW $s are leading to real breakthroughs in digital audio. 

Cheers Rob

PS, yes I bet a few audio companies are paying close attention to threads like this... :)

50 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I sure am! ?? More SPAGETTI than KISS for me, but that’s the way I like it! ?

Eagerly waiting for more info regarding your new chain! ?

Ha! 

Okay I will post an update of my new chain on your thread soon. I am just putting the finishing touches to it, and it has been full of hiccups and set backs but really sounding very magical now. I can't wait to get home to immerse myself in the music these days!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sligolad said:

Already converted the Meitner to a SD Card player direct into the digital high speed differential drivers and made a big improvement in listening to redbook files, using SLC SD Cards.

SD Card Player

Thx @sligolad I finally ordered one of those SD card players and its on its way..