IGNORED

Do you change Audio Midi Setup settings based on song bitrate?

especially for pro use, only one application should be able to access the audio device. It would be quite embarrassing to have an email "bling" sound in a live event being mixed into the live sound.

"On the Mac that's not a problem. In either the Sound preference pane or in Audio MIDI Setup, you can set the "default sound output device" to be your USB or Firewire audio interface or DAC while leaving the "system" output device set to the Mac's internal audio. The former receives audio from iTunes. The latter receives system alerts such as email "bing" sounds.

And you're very unlikely to be running your email application while recording anyway! I would imagine most studios don't even setup email on the actual recording machines being able to dedicate them to a single purpose.

Core Audio was designed with audio recording applications in mind ... it was Apples way to create an alternative to ASIO (over which they had no control and mostly ran on PCs). That's why Sonic Studio's soundBlade, Avid / DigiDesign's ProTool, etc all run on Apple Mac OSX USING Core Audio rather than having to avoid the Operating System's built in audio subsystem like you have to using ASIO on Windows.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

On the Mac that's not a problem. In either the Sound preference pane or in Audio MIDI Setup, you can set the "default sound output device" to be your USB or Firewire audio interface or DAC while leaving the "system" output device set to the Mac's internal audio.

This is the same on all audio engines regardless of operating system. However, there are few caveats:

1) What if the default device was USB device and user removed it? What is the fallback default?

2) What if there's only one audio device?

3) What if user forgot to change the default?

And the exclusivity is regardless of the 'disturbing' application, be it email or any other than the application user wants to use. Email was just an example.

I think the emphasis for CoreAudio is on Apple's control, and that it is made so difficult to bypass that various pieces of software are sort of required to use it. Apple could have still offered the exclusivity choice Microsoft did when they introduced new audio architecture in Vista.

Since Vista, Windows has offered very similar audio subsystem with bunch of improvements compared to CoreAudio and it's not anymore mandatory in a same way to use ASIO as prior to Vista.

But naturally things won't change as long as people like to play with Audio/MIDI settings on OS X and there's software automagically fiddling with those settings for them.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

>Oh and HE is a SHE

Please accept my apology, Eloise. "She" is so rare (but welcome) in these forums...

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil