IGNORED

MQA Shill Steve Stone Provides a Good Laugh For a Friday...

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, firedog said:

Roon will "do the right thing"

I'm new to Roon (<2 weeks) and nearly so to Tidal (<2 months). Help me be clear with what Roon is doing here. For Tidal MQA files, Roon does the first unfold for my non-MQA DAC? I don't have to do anything else? For non-MQA files, Roon does not apply MQA filters?

BTW, does Tidal even have hi-res content that is *not* MQA?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

6 minutes ago, firedog said:

Your DAC will simply relate to it the same way it relates to any other 88 or 96k file.  

OK, thanks. I noticed that "96 kHz" MQA is interpreted as 48 kHz by my DAC. I just installed Roon 1.5 last night so will look again to see what is now displayed by my DAC.

BTW, I plan to switch to Qubuz if they offer true 24 bit PCM.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Sho’nuf! Roon 1.5 is now doing an unfold on Tidal MQA up to at least 96 kHz on my Ayer QB-9 (oh, the irony). I guess I can now do a “proper “ comparison other than I have no way to discern if the master is identical. 

Interesting that the price of Roon is unchanged. How is BS profiting from this. Is Roon subsidizing it’s users? 

Still, I much prefer to have real hi-res (24 bit PCM) and will probably switch to Qubuz when that becomes an option. 

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Maybe. It's also possible that MQA is giving steep discounts while they build up traction. If it becomes a must-have, they can then jack up the fees without losing licensees. At that point, subscription rates will also increase for the same reason. Let's hope they never make it there.

Someone should notify TAS and Herb Reichert that Roon just UN-obsoleted the Yggy. :ph34r:

This shifts (or can shift) the licensing burden from the DAC manufacturers to Roon. I wonder if Roon will have to make two versions (Tidal/MQA and Qubuz/PCM) to prevent outrage from customers (like me) who refuse to pay MQA licensing.

If Qubuz gets established in the US with 24 bit PCM and Roon doesn't make us pay MQA licensing fees, it will hardly matter if iPhone users are happy with their blue lights.

2 minutes ago, mav52 said:

You mean like non tidal users using Roon for their management of their music files on a NAS or a hard drive.

I would use Roon regardless of streaming. It's an awesome interface with unmatched ability to your explore your collection and learn just about everything there is to know about your favorite artists. Tidal is a nice bonus for me but I've read accounts of folks who've abandoned their own collections and gone solely to streaming. I don't see myself doing that especially knowing that Tidal's definition of hi-res is MQA. No thanks.