IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

I hope discussion of this topic hasn't stopped yet, because I have a question that may not have been covered. 

Is this upcoming switch going to be wireless?

Is this a dumb rookie question? I'm asking because my audio system is not on the same floor as my modem and router. My PS Audio DSJ has a network bridge that has ethernet and i2s input. The only way to use ethernet would be from a wireless bridge. Would I need to have my cable company run a second cable to my audio room?  

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

... new switch will NOT be wireless.

You CAN buy inexpensive wireless bridge boxes that have WiFi and a regular Ethernet jack on the same box. They do not cost very much and should work very well with the new switch. Just plug a regular Ethernet cable between the bridge and the switch.

John S.

Thank you K and John and tboooe for the help. I'm glad to know a pathway exists to use the future switch.   

It just occurred to me: Would the ethernet switch supercede the use of a usb for input into the dac? If so, would my

IR and LPS-1 then be obsolete to me?   

5 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

If your DAC has an Ethernet lan input, which is still pretty rare. I think you need to read up on what an Ethernet switch actually is.

Yes, the PS Audio DirectStream Jr has an ethenet/LAN input to its built-in network bridge. The network bridge also has an hdmi input for i2s, which supposedly is superior because it separates the clock from the audio signal.  I don't no why, but PS recommends against using wireless ethernet. 

I'm dubious that sound quality using ethernet to the bridge would improve what I'm already getting from USB with the IR and LPS-1 (or LPS-1.2). If ethernet to a bridge is the superior approach, then I'm hesitant to get the LPS 1.2. 

Thank you for your response Alex, but I'm still unsure of my path going forward.

I've been reading all the positive comments about the LPS-1.2 and the improvements it provides over the LPS-1, and I was
ready to place my order for an LPS 1.2, but then you muddied the waters for me with the your EtherREGEN announcement. 

You seem to indicate that it is not possible to predict whether the EtherREGEN will provide better sound quality in my situation. I don't plan on using Roon or other streaming service, and all my music is sourced from an external hd on my laptop running JRiver, and feeding my DirecStream Jr from an ISO REGEN with LPS-1 I think the music sounds exceptionally good this way.

Alex or John, could you make a general recommendation for those of us using USB with the ISO Regen and LPS-1. Should we upgrade to the LPS-1.2 or supercede it with an EtherREGEN if our dacs have both capabilities?  Of course that puts you in the position of discouraging the sale of one Uptone product in favor of another.  Sorry for that.