IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

On 4/24/2018 at 8:25 PM, JohnSwenson said:

The switch is designed to be used with the "clean port", the 10/100 one connecting directly to the critical device for audio, (ultraRendu etc) and all other connections, such as servers, NAS, compute engines etc. go into one of the other ports which are full gigabit.

Putting some other standard device in between our switch and the critical audio device (ultraRendu etc) just puts back in leakage and clock noise, negating what this switch is all about.

John S.

I currently have an AQVox switch, a Melco N1ZH60-2 (double RJ45 port) and a Lumin A1. Connection is from AQVox to Melco and from the second port RJ 45 to Lumin. I deduce from your answer that using your switch you should connect Melco to the dirty port of Uptone and the Clean Port of Uptone to Lumin, better than Clean Port from Uptone to Melco and second port from Melco to Lumin?

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Hi.

I have an LPSU with a 12 volt output. and 6 Amp. You could connect to EtherRegen, or 6 Amp is too much.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I am a firm believer in the benefits that for the SQ, has the decrease of noise in the ethernet lines. My opinion as a potential client (perhaps not shared by all), is that within reason, do not skimp on the pieces that add to the EtherRegen, if they consider that they improve the SQ. Naturally that will increase the price, but with the price that our systems already have, I will gladly pay it if the SQ increases.

Francisco

I do not expect it to be of similar quality to other manufacturers. I already have an AQvox switch (which certainly improved the sound), I look for something that is much better than my AQvox. I have high hopes that Etheregen will get it.

Francisco

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Thanks Jud.  The Banff Springs Hotel (first opened in 1888!) is where we are staying. It's very romantic, close to all three of the big ski parks, and Banff is a really cute town by the Bow river. My wife's birthday is also this weekend and since I am terrible at planning gifts, I'll likely just take her shopping.  I think she wants ski boots. 9_9

2038885442_BanffSpringsHotel.thumb.jpeg.7d6f42e4119ddee140f9c28dcdbaea73.jpeg

Oh my God Alex, be careful. When I saw the photo of the hotel, an image of Jack Torrance with an ax in his hand came to mind. ?

Seriously enjoy your vacation, 30 years with the same wife is something that certainly deserves to be celebrated. I have 35, but with two wives and that has less merit (or has more?)

Francisco

• 1 month later...

1.- I think he's right. It is not the thread to talk about another product.
2.- Without having compared GigafoilV4 with the other noise reducers, the affirmation can not be made that they will do the same.
3.- The statement that EtherRegen "will be superior" is another assumption on its part. I think there are many of us who hope that it is, to buy one. But even Superdad himself is careful to say that they "expect" that their product is better than what is on the market (although I am sure he is convinced that he will be superior).

Francisco

I would be wadding to share an experience that I am experiencing right now.

My network configuration is: Router to Switch Aqvox to Melco and from this USB to DAC. I am currently reproducing Mozart's Sinfonia 40 from my Melco (not Streeming). I go to the kitchen and I disconnect the Ethernet cable that goes from the Router to the Aqvox. The sound instantly becomes "much more natural." This gives an idea of the amount of noise circulating on the network.

And I think it will be the definitive test for EtherRegen, if disconnecting the same cable there is no change in the sound is that Uptone has succeeded.

Francisco

I'm not so sure about this. I am describing the test I intend to do with EtherRegen to check its effectiveness, not with GigaFOIL.

Francisco

If I disconnect the ethernet cable from the Aqvox to the Melco, then sound stops playing. I guess it's because it's Aqvox acts as a DHCP server. There is nevertheless a way to do it. I can disconnect that cable and go to the Melco screen and play through the screen menu in Melco. For this I would have to activate Twonky (which is the software installed in the factory), which is disabled because I use Minimserver lately.

Francisco

Another way for schuko wall sockets

ECE70074-62E5-499F-9D71-98C8EF6CCBB0.jpeg

7B35F311-764A-40A9-93CF-B3B2BD650C6E.jpeg

Francisco

• 2 weeks later...

Well we can keep asking for new specifications, so EtherRegen will be released at Christmas of 2.045 😁

Francisco

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 4 weeks later...

Ah! cautious man, you ask month but do not ask year.😂

Francisco

Acknowledge him Alex. This system of information release drop by drop, you have obtained it from some secret manual of torture of the KGB 😂

Francisco

I think Jos is right.

Francisco

Well that is an honest explanation. You tell us frankly about the technical problems and that is much better than silence. After this explanation, I will wait as long as necessary.

Regards

Francisco

• 1 month later...

My experience with an EMO 70 HD, is that it "kills" the emotion of music

Francisco

I just hope that what EtherRegen does for sound is radically different from what EMO 70HD does.

Francisco

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2019 at 5:41 AM, JohnSwenson said:

It is important to understand what I mean by "grounding". It is NOT "earthing" (ie a ground rod). It means a connection the safety ground in your house wiring.  (the third prong in the plug) This works because the safety ground is connected to the neutral of the AC mains, this is what allows it to shunt the leakage current, NOT any "earthing".

John S.

Hi John.  

I do not have a great knowledge of electricity, but in different forums talking about "grounding", I have read that the technical specifications with which electrical networks are designed in the USA and in Europe are different.  

My question is;  With a Schuko connector, the metal side strips that make "grounding" would work just like the third hole in the USA connector?

Francisco

Well, what I would like to confirm is that in Europe, what John indicated for USA is also fulfilled: The safety ground is connected to the neutral of the AC mains, this is what it allows to shunt the leakage current, NOT any "earthing"  .

Francisco

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!

Hi Alex.

Some answer for my previous post.

Are you thinking about a new USB Regen based on what you have learned with the development of EtherRegen?

😁

Francisco

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!

Hi Alex

Will the website allow several customers to be buying an EtherRegen concurrently, or will it only be possible in a sequence?

Francisco

This afternoon I have again (to remember how the sound was improved) the test of disconnecting the network cable that connects the Router with my Aqvox Switch, while playing music.  Well only with EtherRegen giving me that increase in sound quality I would already be satisfied, although I have to admit, that it still improves with respect to the disconnection of the cable, since although it is impossible to improve the insulation (upstream), which causes removing  the cable, however safe the EtherRegen generates less noise than the Aqvox

Francisco

4 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

It depends on what you mean by local files. If you mean a computer connected to a DAC and the files are stored on that computer, then you may or may not not find a difference from the EtherREGEN.

If the files are on a NAS or another computer connected via a LAN to the "endpoint" connected to the DAC then it is highly likely to make a large impact on sound.

I n the first case even though the data is not traveling over the network, if you still have an Ethernet cable connected to the computer you can still have leakage current over the cable, and phase noise coming in on other packets going into the computer. So the EtherREGEN may still make a difference.

John S.

My personal experience is clear at this point;  If when I play local files from my Melco to the DAC (USB connection), I disconnect the cable that communicates in Router with Aqvox Switch, the sound improvement is instantaneous.  Therefore, if EtherRegen is able to isolate the noise that comes from the Router, “almost” as much as removing the cable, it has to improve the sound.  We must also expect that the internal noise of the EtherRegen, is lower than any other Switch, new improvement in sound.

Francisco

To clarify, I do not say remove the cable that goes from the Aqvox to the Melco, in this case neither does Melco reproduce, but the one that goes from Router to Aqvox.

Francisco

4 hours ago, Nay said:

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought Melco have a direct mode that completely isolates from ethernet?

Yes it is correct, Melco can be configured to close the RJ45 port that goes to the Switch, but that is only useful if you are using a DAC connected by ethernet and THAT CAN BE HANDLED WITH BUTTONS IN THE DAC.  If this is not the case (99% of the cases), that is, you drive it from a tablet, you cannot use this mode.  It's what happened to me before, when I had my Lumin A1.

Francisco