IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

On 7/20/2019 at 1:04 PM, Superdad said:

No, both sides are equally “clean.”  As long as you cross the moat—and ideally have the endpoint alone by itself on one side (or the other)—then the EtherREGEN’s isolation and clocking benefits will be fully realized.

We are limited to running 100Mbps through the active, low-jitter, differential isolators whch sit on the moat. Since most user Ethernet audio endpoints have little need for data above that rate (even DSD512 is less than half that)—and they may run electrically quieter internally at 100Mbps as Gigabit mode is more current-hungry—it makes the most sense for us to suggest that people use that lone ‘B’ side port as the downstream “output” side.

But as explained (here and in my post just above), there is nothing inherently better about going in one direction or the other. Ethernet is bi-directional signaling anywayB|

Could the lone side be the one attached to the router, and the other side outputs to a Streamer, Apple TV and a NAS?

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
On 10/22/2019 at 10:01 PM, Ehsu said:

Hi Alex; Thanks for your quick reply. And sorry for my typo. Yes, my dual output linear PS powers both the ER and the home network switch that goes into the A side. 

The point of the question is ground. In a Naim system, all Naim components share one ground at " source " ie, my streamer. So if I connect the ER ground screw to Naim preamp then it means that I will bridge the A side to the B side through Naim preamp? Doesnt it defeat the purpose of all the isolation work you have done?

Cheers

I have a Naim system. I am also somewhat detail oriented... I don't worry about this at all! I will just use the EtherRegen with the supplied power supply and not worry about the ground. 

It's possible to overthink this stuff. Just enjoy the music!

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Steady progress!   :D

Thermal compound/adhesive attachment of the heat sinks takes longer than anticipated, but my assistant is almost done with the first 200 boards.

My usually somewhat lazy 18 year old son has flashed the code on almost every board--that went fast--and is now performing the functional Q.C. tests on each board in the prescribed manner.

P1090300.thumb.JPG.612fd1a7727348932484e4cbfe33fcfa.JPG

It looks like you're on target for November 15th! 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Not really.  Perhaps I don’t understand networking enough, but given that virtually all cable and ADSL modems for internet service into the home already handle DHCP assignment duties, what is the use case for a separate router for the average user?

Ok. I thought a router could make an improvement. My mistake.