IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

I’ve been trying HQPlayer embedded on my STi7 - upsampling to DSD512 with the -2s filters. Every few tracks or so, playback stops and a ‘transport unable to connect to HQPlayer’ message appears. Returning to HQP Config to reapply/reaffirm settings seems to unlock it to allow further playback.

Has it been concluded that this is just the result of limitations in the 7700 CPU manifesting themselves, or is it a software problem?  My network is wired and, typically, download rates are around 45MBps.

I opted for the Sonicorbiter OS version for the very reason I’d had enough of ‘high maintenance’ Windows 10 on my bootcamped late 2012 Mac Mini. 

I didn’t try any network reboot (reapplying config in the HQPlayer page seems to the trick), but it’s a shame if this is going to be how it is going forward (if so, I’ll revert to using Roon DSP only). But I am hoping the NAA update mentioned by em2016 can be made available for my microRendu.

MM - the fact that you’re using an UltraRendu as NAA and HQPlayer for you is rock steady with the Sonicorbiter OS does suggest the issue I have perhaps lies with the microRendu, but I would have thought the SW should be common to both the micro and ultra units?

Regarding the ‘free trial’ suggestion (30-minute cut-off period), it sounds very credible and I will check this evening after work (never assume a question targeted at a Luddite like me is silly!). But I did go through the process of uploading an XML file of the Key (as advised on the Signalyst web page for keys that pre-date certain Windows changes). I found that, if I tried uploading on the Key page (in HQPlayer Config) as ‘User’, I got the ‘Failed!’ message, but if I upload with ‘System’ selected, a ‘Success!’ message was returned. By rejecting ‘User’, does that mean that the (personal) Key file was rejected I wonder?  Maybe it is defaulting to the trial as a result? 

I honestly could not find a clear guide to HQPe set-up for the Sonictransporter (not the configuration detail, anyway), so I kind of stumbled along assuming that the steps I took were correct.  Can someone (@Jussi perhaps) chime in to confirm that a Key file uploaded as ‘System’ should override the trial option?  If so, I would assume that the trial time-out is not the route cause here.

Embarrassingly, the ‘About’ page is showing ‘Trial’. Thanks.

But what confuses me is that, on the ‘Key’ page with ‘Scope’ set to ‘System’, I appear to be able to upload ‘hqplayer3w-Key.xml’ with me temporarily being diverted to a similar ‘Key’ page showing ‘Success!’. This is what made me think I’d uploaded my Key correctly (in the absence of an idiot-proof guide).

@Miska, sorry, but any ideas what I’ve messed up (apart from going anywhere near a computer!!)?

Ah, is this perhaps because I bought HQP Desktop at the time and it needs to be the Embedded version to work on the STi7?

HQPe has been available for years (just checked the website!).

I have no real need for Desktop if it’s not compatible with the STi7, so is it possible to switch to HQPe or am I faced with shelling out all over again?

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

NO.

You may get a discount. But not on the embedded version.

Send SMG a mail. That’s where you get the best price for what you’re looking for. It will be looked to that SonicTransporter 4ever. 

Sorry, is SMG the username of someone on CA or a company?

Apologies if it’s a silly question - seems the more I type, the more my ‘novice’ status is revealed!! ??

3 minutes ago, seaharp1 said:

Hey BlueDL,

I've had 4 or 5 computer teamviews with Andrew (sometimes on the phone at the same time)...he has never shown any impatience with me...

Very understanding and patient support.

He hasn’t been impatient with me so far either. I just feel sorry for some of the questions I pose when I later realise the answers were staring me in the face!  He’s needed to be very patient. Great aftersales/ product support.

.......then select HQPlayer on the ST under ‘Settings’, ‘Audio’ or use ‘Switch Zone’ at the bottom of the screen.

By the way, I didn’t get a discounted rate but bought HQPe anyway. I guess it’s  a different product to the desktop/windows version so it’d be a stretch to expect any recompense just because I’m a past customer.

I just hope the ST hardware keeps up with future developments for a little while now! ?

25 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So i finally placed an order for a HW locked HQPlayer to my i5. 

I haven’t tested HQPlayer since first release was limited to 30 min and in real life much shorter and to much hassle to restart as a trail. 

My HQPlayer license for Windows hasn’t convinced me yet. I hope this may change with the embedded version. 

I will do HAF as well. And will compare same filters used in Roon vs HQPlayer. 

It will will take long time to come to a conclusion.

Now I only need Roon extensions implement as well, in the SonicTransporter OS, and I can remove my HTPC from the stereo rack. 

Please let us know what you eventually conclude.

I found HQPlayer a bit of a faff (British word!) in Windows 10 on my Mac Mini, and I also craved a slick remote app rather than getting by using Splashtop. I note that there’s now an app for Android available on google play called HQPDcontrol, but I’m too invested in my Sonictransporter and Roon these days to investigate it. Buying the HQPe licence has sealed the commitment! I left a large playlist playing as I left for work and my history in Roon suggests it played all the way through without any HQPe issues, so far so good then. I might dare to try a ‘non -2s’ filter this evening - such courage!!

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

In Roon under Settings ....Setup

I see Add HqPlayer

is this what I should use? How do I tell Roon to use HQe for audio output and not Roon?

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

In Roon under Settings ....Setup

I see Add HqPlayer

is this what I should use? How do I tell Roon to use HQe for audio output and not Roon?

Yes, sorry - I’d assumed that step had been done.The host name needs to be localhost.

.......then you need to select HQPlayer as the networked zone in ‘Audio’.

Once you’ve done this once, and the MicroRendu is set as an HQPlayer NAA it is settings on MySonicorbiter, you should be good to go.

From MySonicorbiter (Sonictransporter settings), you can then set up the HQPlayer config to suit your DAC’s sample rate capabilities, select filters, select PCM or SDM (DSD), etc.

8 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Yes. And it’s hard to find ?

Actually the only way I know about is to install the windows version in order to get it. 

hqplayer-manual-3-20.pdf

Jussi kindly emailed me the following rough guide when I asked the same question a while back:

The -2s suffix filter variants are lightest, but beyond that, (including the corresponding 2s variants within their own group) the order is roughly from lightest to heaviest:
1) minringFIR / poly-sinc-mqa
2) poly-sinc-short
3) poly-sinc / poly-sinc-ext
4) closed-form-fast
5) closed-form
6) poly-sinc-xtr

30 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Tested on my new fanless Asus H110T (i7-7700T) running HQPe and it works fine.

I only have this problem with my sonicTransporter i7, so it needs Andrew/Jesus or another user to test and reproduce.

I’m sorry (first of all) for my lack of knowledge on the roles played by the two settings, but I find that my STi7 and uRendu function fine with Fixed Volume enabled (-3) AND a value is also entered (again I used the default-3) in Startup Volume. Hence, provided a value is entered in Startup Volume, I get playback.

i would normally select Fixed Volume (as I assume this passes Volume control duties to my Integrated Amp) and I assume Startup Volume is designed to minimise the effect of pops when changing tracks.

However, if my wild guesses are wide of the mark, please correct me!

11 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi BlueDL,

That's different to my issue. 

With your current settings (-3dB in both fixed and startup fields), are you now able to revert back to only having a startup value that allows you to adjust volume during track playback?

Or does it now stay fixed in your music player (Roon?) so you can't revert back to a startup volume adjustable during playback?

Hi,

I haven’t actually varied volume but I found that I can get playback after I unchecking Fixed Volume and leaving Startup Volume at -3. I’m about to go to work (UK based), but might be able to do more this evening.

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi BlueDL,

That's different to my issue. 

With your current settings (-3dB in both fixed and startup fields), are you now able to revert back to only having a startup value that allows you to adjust volume during track playback?

Or does it now stay fixed in your music player (Roon?) so you can't revert back to a startup volume adjustable during playback?

Before I left for work, I had a quick fiddle with Roon.

With Fixed Volume disabled in Config, I went into HQPlayer set-up and selected ‘Device Volume’ instead of ‘Fixed Volume’. This enabled a volume slider at the foot of the playback page which allowed me to vary the volume up to 0dB.

So it appears to work for me - although in my case I don’t have a power amp and I therefore prefer to use the integrated amp for volume duties.

7 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Thanks BlueDL. My issue isn't being able to use the variable 'startup' volume - I've been using that all this time.

My issue is I can't select an NAA device when I choose a 'fixed' volume in HQPe config. I see the NAA device in the list of options but when I select it and hit apply, it doesn't actually select that device.

On a different HQP Embedded machine, tested just today, I'm able to switch between fixed and startup and back again, without issues.

Both run version 4.3.1.

Whenever you get a chance, see if you go from startup volume, then fixed volume (make sure both fields don't have the same number otherwise it's just fixed), then back to startup value again and then finally try a fixed value.

What networked audio endpoint are you using? If you're using a direct USB connection you won't be able to test this out, because my issue specifically applies to choosing a networked backend device

Ok, I’ll fiddle some more this evening.

Does HQPe Config override the set-up in Roon (Fixed/Device Volume setting) or do I need to select Fixed Volume in both of the separate fields?

My only NAA is a uRendu by the way.

I have Chromecast TV and iPad solely as endpoints for Roon, however.

10 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Leave Roon's option as 'device volume' all the time, when testing this.

If you choose fixed volume in HQPe, then Roon will show a message that volume is fixed anyway. But you get the volume slider of course, if in HQPe you have no value in the fixed field, and a number in the startup volume field.

Ok cool.

Hi,

I was able to switch between Startup and Fixed, but I found that, on returning to Startup, the bar at the base of the playback view in Roon would show ‘volume is fixed’ until I initiated playback - at which point the volume slider appeared. I used at arbitrary value of -3 in both windows.

em2016.......for what it’s worth, my ST is at software version 2.6 and HQPe is at version 4.3.1.

The uRendu (v1.4 hardware) is connected directly to the ST with the ST connected to a 5-port switch, itself connected to the Router.

Unless you set me more ‘homework’, at this point it  might be worth contacting Miska or Andrew Gillis to assist you.

Sorry I couldn’t shed any light on the issue for you.

In terms of Fixed Volume, is it advisable to select a value below zero, e.g. to mirror the ‘Headroom’ option in Roon DSP?

My amp often needs to be around 11 o’clock to reach decent listening levels, so I’d want to set Fixed Volume to zero if there was no downside in doing so.

11 minutes ago, alcarp said:

I read somewhere in this thread or another that when using HQe with ROON, ROON audio processing need to be turned off. How is this done?

I would assume it’s a case of disabling the DSP Engine for the NAA you’re using.

There’s a sliding button at the top of the DSP page which disables the lot (saves going into each sub menu to disable them individually).

11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

A minor wording thing, but it's disabling DSP for the HQP (server) zone in Roon, rather than for NAA.

Roon itself can't see what NAA's are in your system. Only HQP Embedded sees the NAAs.

A minor thing but thought I'd clarify because it can easily be confusing talking about NAA, server, zones etc, especially to a new person.

Hi em2016.

Does the on/off button to the left in the zone bar switch DSP on or off?

Apologies if this is a silly question!

Thanks in advance.