IGNORED

Being aware of misbehaviour of the playback chain

19 hours ago, fas42 said:

As it pertains to audio, there was an extremely "weak link" in the phone chain to my house, which still allowed normal operation - this corresponds to competent sound - and finally that link had deteriorated too much, phone line and net linkage were almost unusable - corresponding to less than competent sound. There was a dramatic switch in competence of communications to our home - all dependent on precisely what the chaotic status of that weakness was. Resolution was tracking it down, and fixing the problem.

The company's junction box was part of the "equipment" for getting the signal through - whether I could fiddle with it or not is not relevant - one way or another that flaw had to be resolved, for the illusion of good communications to form ... :)

That sounds like you may be using FTN, and perhaps your copper pair from the exchange has either a partial s/c or earth leakage problems.

If it was broadband , the coax connector(s)  used on the poles may be the cause. A batch of coax connectors supplied to Optus (SingTel) developed these problems. This can also happen on major roads used to corrosion from engine fumes.

I had this problem at Ryde in Sydney where there was a State Transit bus depot just up the road a bit.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

are you a native English speaker?

your response has nothing to do with my post

Getting some of your own back ?:D

I understood what he meant.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

31 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, I've heard some people don't like feedback, in audio circles ... :).

Some E.E.s only like POSITIVE feedback ! :D 

20 minutes ago, mansr said:

If it can't be reproduced by any microphone/speaker pairing, we cannot say which is responsible for the loss.

If we can "marry" LF drivers, Mid Range drivers and Tweeters in speakers, surely it could be possible to do similar with microphones of different physical dimensions and frequency ranges to properly capture Brass?  

26 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Yeah, This EE just loves listening to oscillators! Bring on the positive feedback! SQUEAL! :)

I doubt if it will help. I'm convinced that microphones' diaphragms need to have orders of magnitude less mass. 

That is part of what I was trying to convey for the HF mics.

You didn't quite get what I was referring to with the positive feedback.;)

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

How? What you hear is influenced by both microphones and speakers. There is no way to tell which has contributed what part of the total distortion.

Try listening with high quality headphones too ?