IGNORED

Article: dCS Rossini DAC Review

On 3/17/2018 at 5:43 AM, miguelito said:

Not true in my system at all. If anything it is a deeper color presentation than some other DAC’s I’ve used (EmmLabs, TAD).

Same opinion here. I think the Rossini offers very rich and 'easy' tonality. The dCS Puccini + clock that I owned before were more focused on transparency and details and less on rich tonality. Any comparison between earlier generations from dCS and the latest one (Rossini and Vivaldi) really doesn't make much sense. The latest version of their Ring DAC has a much better tonality, and also the analogue stages have been greatly improved.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:32 PM, miguelito said:

I purchsased the clock based on recommendations of people I trust. I have not done on/off test, not interested in A/B that sorry. These days I am super busy with work and when I am home I want to relax, not tinker. Maybe some day...

If you have a fairly high end and well set up system, I strongly suggest you try and evaluate a component in your system for a few days at least.

I can tell you from my own experience that everyone will easily be able to hear the improvements brought by the Rossini clock. Once heard you will want it.

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

I have it! :)

I know! But you mentioned not having A/B'd it. While it's so easy: just switch it on and off while playing. I can easily hear the difference already when sitting between my speakers near the clock for switching on and off (nowhere near my sweet spot!). The sound image shrinks right away when switching it off. But by now you must have tried this, haven't you? ?

12 hours ago, blaven said:

I have been reading the comments with great interest as I am presently considering either a Berkeley reference 2 MQA or DCS Rossini (and trying to figure out how much stuff I can sell /trade to be able to purchase either of these.  Hence interest in eliminating my pre for sale/trade and having either go directly to my amp)

I just listened to both of them at Quintessence Audio in Chicago. 

I liked both, and ultimately ended up leaving there telling them I would like to hear them in my own system. I tremendously agree with those here who have said you need to live with a product in your own system. It is very difficult to tell the acoustic signature of an isolated product in a full system at an audio show. There are so many other uncontrolled variables present. You are ultimately hearing the acoustic signature of the entire system and environment. The same goes if you are hearing it at an audio store  and tremendously agree with those here who have said you need to live with a product in your own system. It is impossible to tell the acoustic signature of a product at an audio show. There so many other variables that are not controlled. You are ultimately hearing the acoustic signature of the entire system, and environment. The same goes if you are hearing it at an audio store in their system. 

I love the idea of having the DAC directly drive the amplifier but I’ve never tried it. 

Most people whom I have interacted with in audio circles tend to not be computer audio folk like us. They universally have been against this. I am curious for a number of reasons, not the least of which it would allow me a lot more money on trade-in, as well as Rackspace, to get rid of my audio research REF 6 preamp (which I happen to think is the bees knees and absolutely amazing by the way )

So my question stems from my love of vinyl as well. I’m one of these odd guys on this forum loves computer audio, but does also love vinyl, and appreciate what it brings to the table which clearly is different—Even from world-class digital reproduction.   This is off-topic to get into a discussion of vinyl versus digital, but I would like to continue listening to vinyl  which would seem too obviously necessitate the use of a preamplifier.  That being said, there are some pretty clever people in these forums and maybe somebody has other thoughts on another way to accomplish said task as most DACs do not have analog inputs ;)

So, I guess my question is whether or not there are any slick options to have a turntable and  somehow get that signal to a digital preamplifier if I would abandon my ARC REF6. What sounds like is the only option out there is some sort of a DAC /pre  that has a phono input-I believe someone had commented on this being a possibility with MSB?

Just curious if anybody has any thoughts on this specifically.  For those of us who have a love for vinyl, it sounds like we probably need to have a true preamplifier and not remove it from the chain?

Thanks all. Have a great weekend. 

Present system:

Aurender S10–Berkeley alpha USB—Meitner MA1–ARC REF 6 Pre—ARC REF 110–Vandersteen Quattro CT

Project Debut Carbon — ARC REF Phono 3–ARC REF6–etc. 

Hi blaven. Allow me to comment on your possible plans to remove/sell your preamp. FYI: I own the Rossini + clock and also love playing vinyl, using a top-spec Linn LP12. In my previous setup I had an ARC Ref5 SE preamp and an Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp, which was a terrific sounding combination. And, just out of curiosity, I did try passing by the Ref5 SE and plugging the Rossini directly into the Ayre amp. To cut it short: there was no comparison. Using the direct connection to the Ayre meant losing so much space, air, tone and 'life' that I was actually pretty shocked. You get my point: I myself would NEVER give up such a great preamp as your Ref6 to make a shortcut to upgrading to another DAC. I do think you will likely be sorry, not just because of your inability to easily keep playing vinyl, but simply because you might well lose the sound you love so much now. I know some in these quarters are really happy plugging in their DAC's into their main amps, so YMMV. But your preamp is something very special indeed and especially the tubes create a different space and tonal character in your system and therefore I strongly advise you to carefully listen first before you decide. Yes, there was slightly more micro detail when connecting the Rossini directly into the Ayre, but overall the experience was simply bad, as it took the life out of my system.

BTW: As said, this was my previous setup. In the meantime I've upgraded to a Spectral pre- and main amp. Using Spectral one would be VERY wise never to bypass the preamp as the main amp has a very low input impedance, meaning the preamp must (and can indeed) deliver a very large signal, much larger than usually required. You really don't want to ask the same power from your DAC or any other source.

Hope this helps!

On 7/26/2018 at 11:54 PM, blaven said:

Sure does help.  Thanks!

My analog stuff is nowhere near as nice as my digital, but even with an entry level Project turntable, it puts out amazing sound so I definitely won't be giving it up. I really do appreciate your thoughts.

I will have the Rossini and Berkeley both in my system shortly,  and try to get a sense of how much I like them and their different tonal characteristics.

I may or may not try to directly drive my audio research amplifier but I can't really think of any other way to listen to the vinyl without a quality preamp and phono-pre, so don't see much point and driving the speakers directly with the DAC, and likely will continue going through the preamp..

Curious what your findings will be. Every system might respond differently, so please let us know!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 10:24 PM, mrmb said:

Can anyone comment on the length of time the Rossini takes to burn-in?

BTW, Chris, thanks for you review of the Rossini.  And for the most part, I enjoyed the comments it elicited.  

But it is always interesting to read negative comments about cost as it generally relates to the high-end audio products; alluding to how misguided we audiophiles all are.  They're as helpful as negative (1-star) reviews on sites such as Amazon regarding an item that was received damaged.  In both cases, animus drives the post.  Neither add a whit to the discussion; nor are they obviously meant to.

Not too long. I would say about a week of constant play.

4 hours ago, mrmb said:

It is nice to parse a network streamer (another variable) out of the system and directly connect to ethernet. 

Nice to hear you love your Rossini. So do I! Regarding the network streamer: I love that possibility on the Rossini too. However it quickly became clear to me that the sound in that case (using Roon) cannot compete with using my Aurender as the server. So that one is staying where it is. YMMV, of course.